Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Warrior 350 NOISY Timing chain NEED HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Warrior 350 NOISY Timing chain NEED HELP!!!!

Hi Im working on a friends 2004 Yamaha warrior 350 and I have everything done on it that he needed but I noticed the Timing chain is Really really Noisy like its slapping against the guide like the chain is stretched out. Im a cat guy so Im not really familiar with the Yamaha set up and I was hoping some one could help me out. I took the cap screw off the timing chain tensioner but its completely different then the cat ones that I have worked on. Is there a way to adjust the tension or do I have to put a timing chain in it for him? I have heard some really noisy timing chains in Kawasaki 650 twins but I have never heard a timing chain this noisy, something bad is about to happen and Im scared to even run it. Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

i could be a number of things, timing chain could be loose or wore out, or take the timing cover off the side of the top end and look in there....i had a warrior back in the day when i was a kid and it was making some weird racket, thought it was the chain, ended up being a wore out cam/bears or somthing......so make sure its just not the chain makin noise...

Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

I just looked at all of it and it has an auto adjuster. I pulled that side cover off and the timing chain is loose as loose gets, I will not start it at all anymore, I mean this thing is LOOSE. Im almost thinking it slapped the guide enough to where the guide broke either that or the chain is just that stretched out that bad, I can almost pull the chain off the cam sprocket. Now Im looking for a repair manual for this quad and probably some advice. Also could somebody tell me where I could find the VIN Number? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a full manual in .pdf format for $6.95.

1987 to 2004 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior Full Service Manual

Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

make sure the cam chain tensioner is moving freely and isnt bound up, also when you go to put it back in squeeze the adjuster piece all the way in, then install it, it should automatically adjust to push up against the chain guide to take slack away, if its still loose then one or two of the guides might be worn, the one on the right usually gets the most wear on it since the adjuster pushes on it, if those are worn its also likely the chain is stretched, get either an OEM chain or a D.I.D. timing chain.

also for a free online manual of the warrior go to sandwizards.com then go to tips and tricks then manuals, and you will see the warrior manual to select.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hey thanks for the help guys, I have the motor pulled apart now down to the case, the adjuster works fine and was maxed out but still moves, the cam moves freely but the oil smelt like burnt gear oil and its black as it gets, It looks like its been burning some oil as the valves are gummed up and crusted up, I know this motor has had a new top end once. I think the chain must just be that stretched out. Is this a common problem on these motors? Thanks again for all the help.