Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior Will Not Fire Up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior Will Not Fire Up.

I got a some questions why this warrior wont start. It cranks and that's all it does. When it broke down I was riding fast for about 10 mins down a main road and it stalled, I then restarted and it went out again about 3 mins later. It no longer started after that and I pushed it the rest of the way.

I put new fresh gas, new spark plug and checked fuse. I also took the carburetor out and cleaned it up. The spark plug has a small blue spark. I also sprayed starter fluid in the cylinder and carb but still didn't even fire just cranked. Lights work, starter works and the battery is new.

(1) If the timing is off would it still start?
(2) If the strator is bad would it still crank and not start?
(3) If the intake/exhaust valves need adjustment would that make it just crank?
(4) What are the signs of a bad CDI unit?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Always start at the source, the battery, These warriors have a lot of dangling wires Since you were riding hard it could be the timing but i doubt it, Im thinking CDI unit but you will need to test the voltage coming in and going out of it, Could be that a wire has come loose somewhere, could be alot of things but take some time to check out the wiring back buy the swingarm.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Rickeyparker
Always start at the source, the battery, These warriors have a lot of dangling wires Since you were riding hard it could be the timing but i doubt it, Im thinking CDI unit but you will need to test the voltage coming in and going out of it, Could be that a wire has come loose somewhere, could be alot of things but take some time to check out the wiring back buy the swingarm.
What are some signs of the timing being off? Also what are the signs of a bad CDI unit?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

if timing is off it should back fire and run like crap a good bit, its very hard to test CDI's usually when a CDI goes bad it just dies immediately poof no spark done.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 91Warrior357
if timing is off it should back fire and run like crap a good bit, its very hard to test CDI's usually when a CDI goes bad it just dies immediately poof no spark done.
Thanks, so basically I can rule them two possibilities out since it just cranks. I get a spark when I put the spark plug to the frame. I've had it backfire a couple times while trying to start it but not any sign of it trying to fire up. I looked at the wires but I will check them again. How do I check if its getting gas? I have the gas valve on and I loosen the drain nut and gas will come out. Does that mean its getting gas? Also why doesnt it at least fire up for a second when I spray carb spray in the engine?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 4x4kodiak
Thanks, so basically I can rule them two possibilities out since it just cranks. I get a spark when I put the spark plug to the frame. I've had it backfire a couple times while trying to start it but not any sign of it trying to fire up. I looked at the wires but I will check them again. How do I check if its getting gas? I have the gas valve on and I loosen the drain nut and gas will come out. Does that mean its getting gas? Also why doesnt it at least fire up for a second when I spray carb spray in the engine?
Anyone else have any idea what could be the problem so I can check it out.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your jets clogged from debris?. Pull them and check with a paper clip. It could be that at high RPM you sucked up some trash into the jet.

Find a manual here.

Shop Service Manuals for Download - PowerSportResource.com

Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

check over wiring and grounds, and might as well check valve clearances...you should see if it will skid start, if it does most likely the stator is done, you can ohms test these also, but a skid start will turn the engine over faster then the starter can, a weak stator needs the engine to spin over faster to generate a spark to fire off of.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

DONOT! I REPEAT DONOT! push a chrome plated paper clip into your soft brass jets!

It will scratch them faster than 60grit paper on fresh candy paint! Talk about ruin the flow pattern and trash a jet!

Use a brass wire brush, cut a britsle off and hold it with needle nose. IF you must shove something through it.

My moneys on timing, If it pops sometimes during cranking. thats telling you your timing is retarded.
Check your timing and if its off, fix it and replace the tensioner. Old bikes jump time when the tensioner gets weak. Remember thats the only thing holding back all of that Valve spring tension thats being applied to the chain.

The fact it was running then its dead, says timing. You verywell could have trash in the carb, check it aswell.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ezdaar
DONOT! I REPEAT DONOT! push a chrome plated paper clip into your soft brass jets!

It will scratch them faster than 60grit paper on fresh candy paint! Talk about ruin the flow pattern and trash a jet!

Use a brass wire brush, cut a bristle off and hold it with needle nose. IF you must shove something through it.

My moneys on timing, If it pops sometimes during cranking. that's telling you your timing is retarded.
Check your timing and if its off, fix it and replace the tensioner. Old bikes jump time when the tensioner gets weak. Remember that's the only thing holding back all of that Valve spring tension that's being applied to the chain.

The fact it was running then its dead, says timing. You very well could have trash in the carb, check it as well.
Thank you for the reply which answered some of my questions. I took the carb apart and cleaned it up real well and still it just cranks. It pops while cranking and when I pull the choke. From what you say it sounds like the timing. The ATV was being road fast for a long period of time and just went out, never started up after that. It could of jumped the timing and also the chain is pretty lose with almost 2" slack. I cant really find a good "How to adjust timing and replace tensioner for dummies". Can anyone help me with that? But then again someone said it would start but it would run really bad. Thats where it confuses me.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Warrior Will Not Fire Up.