Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Kodiak 450 "a couple questions if you don't mind :)"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traildad,

Thank you for that post!

My owners manual says the same thing, 320,2400 and every 2400. I JUST got the owners manual for it because the owner could not find it at the time of sale, which was really no big deal to me.

How many clicks is on your bike? I am curious to know how far out your valves we're and what difference the adjustment made. You really got me when you spoke about backfiring on decel. Mine does that once in a while but not all the time. It scares the living crap out of me. I don't want to hurt my bike. I baby this thing!.. well... you know

Been running Yamalube in it since I bought it and now I am going to dump that stuff and I am going to Amsoil Synthetic, supposed to be the best.

Please do report back once you have had a chance to ride your Kodiak Traildad and let me know how she went.

ETA: Thanks for the brake info, I was not sure.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure what you mean by "how many clicks on my bike". I have read that backfire on decel can be caused by a lean idle adjustment. I plan to take a test ride in two weeks. I am gearing up for a trip to Denver and a week of riding and camping. I installed a winch while I had it apart and jetted it for high elevation. I've got 4 new tires waiting to be installed.

As I mentioned it is had to tell how far out of spec it is. This is my first time adjusting valves. The spec gives a range that is OK. The 007 feeler gauge is the only one in my set that is in the range for the exhaust valve. It was tight and would not go in. I did not try the 006 to see if it was tighter than that. Mine has about 2100 miles on it.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

aha. Traildad, when I said how many clicks, it is a term used to ask how many km's. km's/clicks, get it =D

Ya I have about 400 more miles on my bike then you do. I am for sure going to adjust the valves myself when I get a day with no chances of rain. That or I might just take all the needed plastics and gas tank off and take it over to the dealer and let them do it on the spot for me if they can, but I am pretty sure I can do it myself.