Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wants to stall in water

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend and i have kodiaks an 07 and an 08 and they both do the same thing when idling in really deep water on the angle. they can plow through no problem but once your in and waiting for the guy in front they have a tendancy to stall and start right back up, got me puzzled ?? could have something to do with the back pressure acting on the exhaust pipe

Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by galvitron1
my friend and i have kodiaks an 07 and an 08 and they both do the same thing when idling in really deep water on the angle. they can plow through no problem but once your in and waiting for the guy in front they have a tendancy to stall and start right back up, got me puzzled ?? could have something to do with the back pressure acting on the exhaust pipe
I never had the problem before up until the last ride I went on. I always took it through same depth water (2ft). With my 27" ITP wheels and tires, I have 11 1/2" clearance from floor board to ground. The mechanic at the yamaha dealer said it most likely could be the hose, whether it's clogged or waht have you. He recomended getting an extension hose and routing up through handle bars, and it worked.

Basically all you do it pop off left side plastic that is under gas tank, find carb and rubber hose that comes from bottom of carb and it will be routed around engine on the bottom almost towards the front and just hang freely there. There will be a fatter extension hose on the end of the rubber hose and you just put a smaller rubber hose into the existing hose and rout it up towards handle bars. Actually it is easier to take extension hose and feed it down towards engine and carb, then make connection. The other theory for the sputtering and stalling sould be steam from engine when sitting in water, someone on this forum made note of that.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

I was just riding in Colorado and had the same problem again when in deep water. It started running bad but did not die. As soon as I got out of the water it improved, but it took a little bit before it was normal again.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Traildad
I was just riding in Colorado and had the same problem again when in deep water. It started running bad but did not die. As soon as I got out of the water it improved, but it took a little bit before it was normal again.

Yea thats what was happening with mine, sometimes it would stall, toher times it would sputtter and have just enough power to get out of the water. But as soon as I got out of water it immediately starting running back to normal.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Re stalling in water

I had the same problem when i would hit the water, i eventually figured that it was the connection between my sparkplug and plug boot. To test it remove the cover and idle your quad. Then spray the sparklug and boot with a garden hose and if it dies that's you problem. I removed the spark plug and soaked it in gas and dried it. then use a small amount of di electric anti oxidant grease (penetrox) on the terminal of the sparkplug and should be good to go.