Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 vs Prarie 650 vs Sportsman 700 ho

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:05 PM
|
Trailblazer

All you big 4x4 torque fans which of these do you predict will be number 1.

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Prairie 650 V-Twin - w/o a doubt! This quad will set the new standard for sport-utility ATVs. The torque will be off the chart!

Old 02-19-2001 | 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

why do you pick the smallest engine to have the most torque? is it because it is a v twin? im not sticking up for the other two, just wondering

Old 02-19-2001 | 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know why everyone is hyped up over a V-style engine. Typically, V-style engines are made to rev, while inlines are generally used to torque.A single piston engine will make more hp and torque than a twin of the same size.Look at all the big rigs such as Kenworth, Mack, Peterbuilt and so on, they dont use V-style engines. I know someone is gonna bring up V-style streetbikes and the torque they make, but a inline will make more peak torque than a V-engine.

Old 02-20-2001 | 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

who care!!! Two out of the three doesnt even exist!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2001 | 12:51 AM
|
Trailblazer

Yeah ok mr know it all, like read dirt wheels and you will see for the 2002 line up it will so if you dont know keep your fugging mouth shut.

Old 02-20-2001 | 08:06 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I like my Grizz cause its reliable and powerful and low maintenance but the question is....
If the new Grizz is getting a v-twin, IRS, and some sort of new true 4X4 setup, how will that affect the reliability we get from the current simplistic design? Not to mention two carbs makes tuning tougher (unless its a one carb solution?)
Just some thoughts.

Old 02-20-2001 | 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not a mechanic, so I can't explain why the v-twin makes more torque, but everything I've read about says the torque will be unbelievable. It will also be very smooth - hince the 90 degree angle. As far as in-lines making more torque, that's probably true for a semi, but I don't think the design is exactly the same in a bike. My Yamaha R1 is an in-line 4 and I know it's known for HP (150 to be exact) and not torque. Also, the Prairie 650 will have a rear braking system that's normaly found on heavy machinery - it's some kind of wet-brake system. As long as you occasionally change the oil in the rear brakes, they will never need to be changed. It will also have a handlebar mounted lever to lock the front differential while in 4 wheel drive for extreme gripping and traction. They are all great quads, but you asked, so my $$$ is going on the V-Twin.

Old 02-20-2001 | 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a bold statement, In reality there are so many factors in making horsepower or torque. Twin regardles of angle produce twice the power strokes per cycle. the biggest jump in power is going from single to twin, and not from twin to triple. Bore and Stroke are what really make the difference in torque vs HP. Semi's have Huge pistons, the weight on the stroke produces the torque. Biggest reason its a vtwin is for room and smoothness. This will be a killer machine. just wish they would say when its out!!! I hope Yamaha doesnt go with IRS....

Old 02-20-2001 | 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Don,t worry they will always make the Big Bear for guys who think like you.A 660 liguid cooled will have more power with less heat,IRS will give the rider more ground clearance and a nicer ride,and the advantage of true 4wd doe not even have to be discussed.Would this machine be more enjoyable?Yes.Will this machine be simple?No,but we do not live in the 80s anymore .

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 vs Prarie 650 vs Sportsman 700 ho