Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How hard is it to replace.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How hard is it to replace.....

How hard is it to replace axle bearings and seals on extended dura blue blaster axle and what tools do i need i went to a dealer and there trying to rip me off.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by blasterman831
How hard is it to replace axle bearings and seals on extended dura blue blaster axle and what tools do i need i went to a dealer and there trying to rip me off.
you need to have (2) 2 inch wrenches (50mm) and a socket/ratchet combo that fits the axel end nuts (23 or 24mm), some other basic metric wrenches and sockets and stuff..... The new bearings, seals, probably gonna need a hammer and drift to drive out the old bearings.... some of them get "fused" to the inside of the axel hub (or rusted)....... Also, while you're wrenchin around in there, drill and tap a grease fitting into the rear housing too. That way you don't have to disassemble and install new seals to greease the rear axel. Worth your time.

You have to remove the brake set-up, two long Thru-bolts, with a 17mm on one end, and a 15mm on the other end (on mine anyway), of course the wheel hubs (you can leave the wheels on them if you just remove the center nut (of course they're cotter pinned on, castellated nuts). Then you'll have the axel assembly pretty much in your hands. On the bench, you'll have to remove the 2 big axel nuts, and slide the axel out of the hub. Remove the old, (this is where you take a few minutes and drill that grease fitting in be careful not to put it in a place that causes issues) install the new, and re-assemble all that stuff.... Sounds easy huh?

Is the dealer ripping you off still?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just have to jump in there and do it my friend. Get a service manual and maybe order up a few wrenches to fit the axle nut(you could use a pipe wench or similar in a pinch.) I have never owned a Blaster, but they are all basically similar to do. One thing I like to do is loosen everything I can before removing the chain/brake.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with Scooter86. You should get a manual and jump in. It's not too tough, just getting the axle nuts off is, imo, the hardest part. The dealer rates are high for a reason, they are in the business to make money. If you read through all the procedures in the service manual carefully before you start, go slowly, even write down what you do so you can reverse the process to put it back together. A bearing puller is nice to have, but it can be bone without one. I believe you will obtain a great sense of accomplishment by doing it yourself and saving your dough for go-fast goodies!