Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 Grizzly 660 Changing Bearings & Hub Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Grizzly 660 Changing Bearings & Hub Removal Question

Hi,

I changed my front brakes on my 05 Grizzly 660 and found that both from bearings are junk. I ordered new bearings. We went to change them today and found that the axle nuts no matter what would not budge. We used an air gun, a pipe on a ratchet for leverage, we heated it although not cherry red. I did buy an online manual, but it shows the axle nut as having a cotter pin, but I don't have a cotter pin just the part that gets dented in on the nut to prevent it from moving, which we undented. Any help here would be great. Am I missing something? Is there a cotter pin? I also looked on the 05 Microfiche and it doesn't show one. Are they just that stuck from the mud and water? Any help would be great going camping and wanted to take this with me without loose wheels. Thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't be a cotter pin. The dented nut is what mine had.
You might have done this but I usually take the wheel off then pop the center cap out of the wheel. Put the wheel back on and chock the wheels. That way you can get alot more leverage on it instead of fighting with a jack at the same time.
I did all mine not long ago. The fronts came off easy, but one of the rear ones was a bear. I had to barrow a better impact gun to finally get it off. I guess my 150 lb gun wasn't enough. The 3/4" IR gun had no problem. I had even tried a 4' cheater bar on the end of a 2' breaker bar without a budge.

You have the right idea. Lots of heat and an impact should do it. Make sure to use anti-sieze when you put it back together.