Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Installed needle and seat today- now problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed needle and seat today- now problem

I installed a new needle and seat in my 02 Warrior today- the old one was shot and wouldn't shut off fuel so it was dumping fuel in the overflow tube as soon as I turned the gas on.

I started it up when I was done and it started easy, idled good, etc. If I eased the gas on, it revved up fine. If I tried stabbing the gas quick from idle, it stalled immediately. A couple times, it would die and then make a weird inhaling sound like it was gasping for air.

Does the float need to be adjusted because of the new needle and seat? I got the parts from a brand new Moose rebuild kit I just bought last week.

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

sounds like you put the needle on the wrong notch

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Speedy2222
sounds like you put the needle on the wrong notch
Hmmm... I didn't notice any settings on the little spring clip attached to the top of the needle. I simply hung it on the float tang like the old and put it back in. Can you explain how the different notches are used to set the needle height?

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

The needle should be notched and have a movable clip installed on the middle notch if you are all stock.

Also, check your accelerator pump as it sticking can cause issues when stabbing the throttle. Specifically, It's the little spring that sticks out when you take the float bowl off. Make sure the spring is ok and isn't getting hung up.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

The needle should be notched and have a movable clip installed on the middle notch if you are all stock.

Also, check your accelerator pump as it sticking can cause issues when stabbing the throttle. Specifically, It's the little spring that sticks out when you take the float bowl off. Make sure the spring is ok and isn't getting hung up.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beefy46172

Let me make sure I'm explaining the right part... this place has it listed as "Needle Valve Set" and is part # 11 on the exploded diagram. It sits on top of the float and has a little spring clip that wraps around the small metal tang in the middle of the float. I don't remember there being any notches or different settings on this part when I installed it yesterday.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Yamaha 1996 Warrior 350 CARBURETOR

Old 09-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

They are talking about your main jet needle. float needle and seat only adj. is the float itself. you might have some crud in your idle circut/low speed jet you might want to pull the bowl back off and check.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 350war
They are talking about your main jet needle. float needle and seat only adj. is the float itself. you might have some crud in your idle circut/low speed jet you might want to pull the bowl back off and check.
thanks- I'll check it out tonight and try to spray it out with some carb cleaner. I know where the low speed jet is but, where is the idle circuit?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

low speed jet is probably all you need to worry about. there is diagrams on here of the carb. I've seen them just not sure where they are at. the jet should be the place where anything would get caught. but you could pull the jet and spray carb. cleaner where the jet goes this should clean the idle circuit.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beefy46172

Beefy is part right, it does sound like your accelerator pump rod is stuck down, a common Warrior/95 Wolverine problem. The rod that goes from the bowl to the compartment covered by a plastic side cover has a very weak spring that sits on the bottom of the rod and goes into the bowl. A small burr, or just jamming the rod down too hard will sometimes cause it to stick, you hit the throttle, no shot of gas, big gulp of air, REALLY big bog from carb. Fix is very simple, pull the bowl off one more time ( I know, you are getting tired of taking it apart,last time, I promise) find a click type ink pen, take the spring from the pump rod on the carb and match them up, on most pens the spring is the exact size and diameter of the old pump spring, but about 5 times stronger, put the pen spring in place of the pump spring, and put the bowl back on, making sure the rod goes into the rubber boot in the carb under the accel pump arm, put the side cover badk on, and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Installed needle and seat today- now problem