Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need to know what to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the suspension.... you wouldnt wanna go riding on a track with stock stuff.....

Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

if you have never really driven an atv or dirt bike you might want to go with a 300ex. its semi auto so no clutch but still the satisfaction of shifting also it is pretty fast and perfect for a beginner . a dirt bike is going to take a while to learn not only the clutch but also balancing and you will probably fall a few times .a warrior you dont really need to worry about falling but the clutch takes some getting used to.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks for the help, I will think about it for sure. I may go with the KX100 if I do get a dirt bike because I may grow out of the yz 85 too fast. I know learning the clutch while learning to balance will be hard bt my neighbor learned both at the same time pretty quik without issues. if it comes down to money being an issue I will go with a dirt bike but for now I will ask a lot of people and get a lot of different opinions. I do a lot of downhill mountain biking so I may be able to pick up dirt biking pretty quik but then it may be a whole different story.

I have one more question, would a warrior 350 or honda 300ex of any year with the value of somewhere from 1000-1400 be good enough to actually spend the money on or will it be all dirty, unsmoothe, sun faded, and a lot of issues with it? Because if that is the case I am either going to save up more money or get a dirt bike. But then again a good cheap deal goes up every now and then.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

don't be concerned about sun faded and that type of stuff. thats just the plastic which doesn't effect the performance. plus you can buy new plastic on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums or eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices both are great to purchase the atv/dirt bike from. and one more tip to you is dont try to buy something with every performance part on it. that usually means it was beat on and ridden more. so more likely to have problems. you are better of buying a stock atv/dirt bike that is the same price but never used. if your lokking to spend $1400 dont buy anything older then a 2000

Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I do plan on riding a lot of trails and stuff with me neighbor who has a yfz450 and I don't know just if I get a dirt bike if I will be able to do the kind of stuff he will, like go through rough, rocky muddy stuff. I know at first I won't be able to do much. how much of an advantage would he have over me going out on the trail after I had a little practise but not like a years worth of practice? Because I mainly plan on getting something to go riding with him and if I won't be able to do the stuff he does, it wouldn't be even worth it....

Old 10-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Range Rover

Iv had a dirt bike and many atvs I rode an atv for years before getting my dirt bike. still it took like months to even be able to keep up with friends. If you are going to be riding with a yfz450 which is one of the (fastest atvs) go with the warrior the warrior will do the best job keeping up with it and its a clutch so if you want to change to a dirt bike you will already know how th drive a clutch. if your trail riding, your friend with the yfz 450 isnt goeng to be able to go top speed in the trails so you sould be good. i have a warrior and i have never put it in 6th gear in a trail.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK yes, thank you. Im sorry I didn't quite understand what you said about me being able to go through the rough stuff or any thing on the trails as a beginner dirt biker going riding with him. I know he probably won't be going top speed any time soon but just on like the trails I would like to know if with practice will I be able to do the trails he will be doing, both of us being beginners to both dirt biking and atving, will I eventually be at the same level as him on the trails going through roots and rutted sections because he has an advantage of having 4 wheels? So basically what I mean is after about 3 or 4 months of experience for a dirt biker with a kx100 compared to an atver with a yfz450 with 3 or 4 months of experience, how much of an advantage will he have through all sorts of different trails?

Im sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

you should do fine if you ride a bike a lot. the hardest part is not a clutch its the balance. also when you are on an atv you have to worry more about ground clearance more and go around rocks. with a bike you can go inbetween rocks just relize and be prepared that you will almost deffinitaly fall at least a few times. make sure to wear boots (prob steel toe or riding boots) and get a cheast protector deff need the chest protector.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks, I will look in the classifieds for a good bike that comes up and I may just end up going with the quad any way so I know I can ride with my neighbor a lot and do the same kind of stuff. I think it will depend on what kind of a deal goes up on the internet.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default want a ATV but dont know wich one i should start with

heey.. I'm 13 well in 20 days 14 and live on an island named Cuaracao,and I want to buy a ATV but i'm not shure with wat i should start my weight is 98 pounds. I was doing some research and i saw that most kids my age start with a raptor 350, i also saw some other kids starting with a raptor 250 or a wolverine 450 auto 4x4.
I never drove any ATV well exept when i was little I have drove those kids stuff with batteries. But right now i just need something good to start off with but not something like to slow something i could use for quiet a while.

i want to ask if someone may help me with tips and stuff so i know what i can buy.

thankss

Quick Reply: Need to know what to buy.