Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Where would be one good relocation place for the key on a banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I wanted to relocate the key switch on my shee, because with the Renthal handlebar, it's not easy access.
I was wondering about where I could put it, in some place that isn't too muddy and accessible, with no possibility for the key to fall off.
Anyone done this? Any input appreciated.

I definitely want to keep the key!! Caus there are some people I ride with who ride like a$$, and wouldn't think I'm serious when I say "No, you don't ride it!!" (<- it has already happened...and I was sooo happy I took the key with me!!).

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

so your banshee is an elctric start and not a kick? or is it a combo of both,like you have to put in the key,turn it on,then kick?

either way,i would like to know how you got it and how hard it is to install and hw much it cost,thanks

Old 02-23-2001, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it's a combo...no way I have an electric starter!! Sometimes I wished I did have one, but most of the time, I have no trouble with the kick.
In stock form, you have the key, it's mounted right on the handlebar clamp, and the key is a pain to put in, beacause of the foam of the handlebar. I was thinking about putting in on the side...or anywhere but there!! ahah.
Actually, it's absolutely no use if someone tries to steal your shee and knows a minimum about it...he'll by pass the key in a blitz and 1 inch of wire!! But like I said, it came useful to me sometimes...
I'll keep you guys informed about what I do.

Old 02-24-2001, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hello Zorro. I put a set of Renthals on my banshee a few months ago. I have a 270 lb. friend that rides like yours, and also thinks that it doesn't include him when I say I don't want anyone on it.
About the key location though; I ran the key down underneath the gas tank and zip-tied it on top of the balance tube. I put the zip-ties through 1/4 inner diameter plastic tubing so that they wouldn't start wearing on the key wires.
It makes it hard for someone to find. To get to it, just pull the seat back a few inches and there it is. Duncan offers a keyplate which bolts to the frame under the rear of the gas tank. It's pretty trick, but it is also $34.95. I am considering doing this to mine because it would be a little more convenient. With his keyplate, the key would be mounted vertically where as mine is horizontal.
Just thought that you'd like to know.

Daren420

Old 02-24-2001, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Zorro,
I relocated mine to the back of the gas tank right under the front of the seat with a billet piece from hy tech atv. It cost about 30 bucks. Think the web site is www.hy-tech-atv.com its bullet billet that makes it.

David Chapman

Old 02-24-2001, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, about "friends" that don't understand the meaning of no. They are not your friends. In the group I ride with, I have no problem with anyone riding one of my machines, in fact, on one occasion I offered my Banshee to a buddy for a day cuz his machine was waiting on a new a-arm. We always ask, and we always respect each others property. Go find new friends.
Second, on my Banshee, I got rid of the key entirely and put in a Pro-design kill switch. I feel that it is a must have item for anybody who rides a quad. Your sled has one doesn't it? I only had to watch one quad go riderless before I went and got one. You can still retain your key if you like.

Old 02-24-2001, 05:09 PM
vic
Weekend Warrior

hey, Take the radiator cover off and drill a hole into the upper corner on the side and put the key there. It has enough room between it and the radiator, mine has been there for a year. I also have rental bars and i have a tach mounted to the bar clamp so i had to move the key. The wiring is long enouh so you dont have to make it any longer and you can still have a key. dont mess up otherwise you will have a 1 inch hole in the cover.(not cool)