Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear driveshaft boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear driveshaft boot replacement

I noticed the other day on my 2003 BB that the driveshaft boot is ripped, I'm getting ready to tear into it and am unsure where to start. Once I move the boot forward will I need to disconnect the universal joint, remove the swingarm pivot bolt and slide the swingarm back to slip in the new boot? If anyone has been there before please shed some light before I screw something up! Thanks...

Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Update:
I ended up figuring out how to replace the drive shaft boot, it wasn't a huge deal just took a little time. The universal did not need to be removed, you just need to remove the swingarm pivot bolts and the driveshaft will slide out of the universal yoke.

I do have one question though... When adding new oil do I fill .25 quart into the rear diff housing or do I need to add some in by the driveshaft boot. The reason I ask is when I removed the drive shaft boot a good bit of oil drained out from there, I am assuming that the drive shaft and rear diff share the same oil but want to be sure. Please advise!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

well having diff oil in ur driveshaft boot isn't too good. that means your pinion seal is worn out and leaking. they're not too bad to to but you need a special socket to take off the threaded collar that holds your pinon in place. a little bit of heat from a propane torch will help with taking it off. i just had to rebuild the rear diff in my 02 big bear. the threaded collar is left handed threads so u gotta be careful with that. and it would be a good idea to see if your pinion has any play which could cause the seal to leak.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Can't get driveshaft back into u-joint

You guys must have gotten really lucky stabbing the driveshaft back into the universal joint. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, for over 3 hours to get the rearend and driveshaft to go back into the universal joint. What a nightmare. I'd like to stick dynamite in there right about now. How are you supposed to hold the u-joint in any position to line it up with the driveshaft? By the time you get the driveshaft close enough, there is no room for your hand in there any more. Then it's just impossible to get the swingarm lined up. When I do, the u-joint has fallen down, and the drive splines are just spinning in there all by themselves. What a stupid design.