Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Breeze 80 weird spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breeze 80 weird spark problem

Hi all
I'm working on a nephews Breeze 80 not sure what year. It wont start. There is no spark at the plug except when you release the start button it sparks once. Nice blue spark too. No spark while it's cranking at all. Plug is fine, tried the plug on another bike and it sparked like crazy, have new battery on bike. With the plug installed the motor will fire for half a second when you let go of the button but that's it. Any ideas?
thanks

Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Cutty
Hi all
I'm working on a nephews Breeze 80 not sure what year. It wont start. There is no spark at the plug except when you release the start button it sparks once. Nice blue spark too. No spark while it's cranking at all. Plug is fine, tried the plug on another bike and it sparked like crazy, have new battery on bike. With the plug installed the motor will fire for half a second when you let go of the button but that's it. Any ideas?
thanks
You have a bad ground somewhere.... go over the entire frame to find a rusted or corroded connector or terminal that's broken.... Sounds easy huh?...

Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Range Rover

Hey that sounds better than buying expensive electrical components! So why does it spark right when you release the button?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Cutty
Hey that sounds better than buying expensive electrical components! So why does it spark right when you release the button?
Due to a momentary ground reaching the right spot as you release the button.... It's probably similar to an automotive igntion siwtch to a degree.... When the key is on, there's an ignition 12 volt source thorugh the switch,... and when the switch is off, there's a ground supplied to the circuit.... only on the 4 wheeler, since there not using the same type of ignition, it's probably the other way around.... or something along those lines. I have a 96 badger manual PDF if that would help.... Shoot me a PM with the proper info and I'll email it to you. It's not the greatest, but might be close to what you're working on.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Range Rover

Makes sense I reckon, funny thing is, when my brother brought that quad to my house at thanksgiving he had just installed a new battery and my son and I got a laugh when we lifted the seat to start a little troubleshooting and saw the negative cable attached to the post with just the bolt shoved into the hole with no nut on the back. I was surprised it even cranked but it cranked like crazy. Then I got to thinking that might be the cause of the spark problem so I dug up a nut and tightened it up but it didn't make any difference. I would appreciate that pdf file. PM coming