Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 yamaha wolverine BRAKE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 yamaha wolverine BRAKE PROBLEMS

I have a big brake problem on my wolvy. need new caliper on back alltogether but front don't work either. front would be a whole lot cheaper to do so gonna knock those out so i have some brakes! so i need to know why the front aren't working....i took the lid off the master cylinder on the handle bars. it was empty. so i put some in it and pulled the brake lever abunch and a few little bubbles came up but it didn't suck any brake fluid down....does this mean the master cylinder is bad??? or what....???

any help would be great. thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Might have air in the lines.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer
i'm retarted its been forever since i did anything with brakes. i guess try to bleed them then? and another question.....are the front brakes a totally seperate system from the back?

thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

If they are drum brakes on the back yes. They dont use fluid.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

they aren't drum in the back. its disc too. but front has the master cylinder on the bars and back has another one seperate from that. so they should be seperate systems right?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

I've never been on the type of fourwheeler you are talking about so this is a shot in the dark. If you track your rear brake line it should have a rod that will push into a master cylinder on the side of the frame. Sometimes these cylinders will have a couple wires coming out of them that control the brake like. The back should definitely be a seperate system. As for the front. Step one is to bleed the breaks so: fill up the reservoir and crack the bleeders (both) until gravity pulls fluid out of the bleeders. Don't worry about pumping these yet. One you have a stream running from one, tighten it up and deal with the other side, keeping in mind that you will have to refiill the reservoir during this process. If you worry more about the bleeders then you will run out of fluid causing air to go back into the lines creating the project again so pay attention to the reservoir and bleeder. Once steady fluid is running from both then get a buddy to help you pump and bleed the brakes. After that you should be good to go unless you have a broken down line, rusted caliper, or wore out brake pads. Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

kram2724, I recently re-did the rear brakes (pads and rotor) and bled the rear line on my 2002 Wolvy. I'm not a mechanical genius, but it was a fairly easy job. I agree, if your front reservoir was empty, you could have air in the lines. The rear reservoir is just below the choke **** on the left side of the engine. I don't know how many times you've done brakes, but don't apply the brakes with the caliper off or your going to have to re-seat the brake piston. Get a buddy to help you bleed the brakes if required and get yourself a servicing manual - it'll pay for itself with the first job.

Good luck

Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Since I was just on another thread helping a fellow Wolverine owner, I thought I might help you as well. Here's a free manual for your use: LIT-11616-FX-37.pdf - 32.6 Mb

Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

Since I was just on another thread helping a fellow Wolverine owner, I thought I might help you as well. Here's a free manual for your use: Just hit free download and enter the 4 digit number. LIT-11616-FX-37.pdf - 32.6 Mb

Old 11-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2003 Wolverine manual

The link to the manual doesn't work. Can you send an updated link. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 yamaha wolverine BRAKE PROBLEMS