Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiac Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Kodiac 4x4 that is about three months old. I have maybe a total of about 4 hours on it. My question is, how often should I change my oil and differential fluid? Also, how often should I clean or change the air filter.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

I live in Zachary, I use my 00 Kodiak mainly for hunting but do go on mudrides like Sorrento and Marengo. I clean and reoil my air filter after any bad dusty rides, if riding in good clean air I don't clean that often but do check it to make sure it is still clean. I change oil only twice a year but then I do not ride that much when hunting season is not open. After the mudrides I remove the disc brakes and wash out very good. A lot of sand and trash gets trapped in the caliper area. The Kodiaks have a severe rear brake wear problem. I have replaced the rear and have new fronts to put on after the next Marengo ride. I had a Big bear than never needed much maintenance,the Kodiak is a fine ride but will need more care.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Hello kodiak owner,
I have a new kodiak, and am having erratic idling.
Did you experiance this with your new kodiak????
Thanks

Old 03-01-2001, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

When I bought my 2000 Kodiak the mechanic at the dealer told me to change the oil after the first 5 tanks of gas then about every 500 miles after that and change the oil filter with each oil change. Look in the owners manual-there's a chart that tells how often to change the other fluids. Basically you won't need to change fluids as often if you don't ride in alot of mud and dusty areas.
Bukhunter I never had that idling problem but I have heard some guys say that might indicate a problem with the choke mechanism-maybe you could check that first.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I change my oil about every 150 miles or so, I have changed it twice since I got mine in late Oct. As far as the air filter goes, after real dusty rides I have cleaned it, it has been more wet since winter has blown through here in Idaho. On the differential fluid: I am at work but I don't know off the top of my head, check the owner's manual. I also picked up the service manual for my kodiak, much more maint. detail & step by step, $45 at my local dealer.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bukhunter, I had idling as you describe when I first got my Kodiak. There is an adjustment screw inside the left panel(above the tranny), just below where the carb sits. If you need a better description, e-mail me direct(digital pics) or reply here. Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2001, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Krazykodiak,
Are you talking about the Air mixture brass screw that is located under the carberator.
I tried to adjust the Idle **** (phillips screw in a black tube) and that did raise the idle but it was too high.
It seems like when it idles the revolutions of the engine fluctuates. I was told that the Air/fuel mixture is too lean. Someone also told me that yamaha might do this because of emissions.
Thanks for the Help!

Old 03-01-2001, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bukhunter,
That is the screw. I had to turn mine up to keep it running while idling & to start. It did take some playing to get it right, very sensitive! Hope this helps!