Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Break in period

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in period

I just had a high compression pistion installed in my 06' Raptor 700. The service guys said the break in would be about 20 hours. These guys are normally pretty good but it just seems like a lot of hours for break in. Is this right? 20 hours? When I got it new they recommended a couple tanks of gas for break in. Any thoughts. Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would go 3-4 tanks of fuel and call it good!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mechanics advice

I obviously am missing something here, help me understand. you say "These guys are normally pretty good", and they did the work for you. Then why would you go on line and use information from people you do not know nor know their back ground?
When you do not use the mechanics recommendation and use a shorter time for break in are you then going to expect the mechanic to stand behind his work? Are you going to bad mouth him when he does not, because it is no longer his work? Are you going to go to the guys on line and expect them to pay for the repairs?
If you think it is a long time, then go back to the mechanic and ask him to explain because you would like to have a better understanding of the workings of your motor, not questioning what he is recommending. There could be any number of things taken into consideration, possibly he knows how you ride, the use of the motor, clearance set up with the piston, how tight the ring gap is, the type of material the ring was made out of, I read that some of ATV motors have a ceramic liner, to me that sounds slick and may take longer for rings to seat.
Could you possibly of mis-understood or did not hear all the instructions?

Richard Rockefeller

http://www.policypeddler.com

Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Just run around 4-5 tanks through it just takin it easy.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I would just take it easy first tank or so if you wanna be safe then hammer into it afterwards,me i take it easy maybe first few minutes then hammer on it lol, its been proven that running em hard for break-in periods is better for your engine believe it or not.

Heres one thing to read up on, this guy knows his stuff and alot of people i know follow after his advise.
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

there is almost no break in, these r roller cam engines so no cam break in and the piston seats itself in the first couple heat cycles, just to give u a idea i put a custom webb cam and a 14:1 comp piston and we dynoed it going wot less than 15min after it was put together.

btw what piston did u put in?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all with your advise and information, except for Policy Peddler and his humongous ego. If I wanted scolded I'd leave the toilet seat up. I actually feel less intellegent for having read his reply. I don't know about him but I still like to 'measure twice and cut once'. Confirming information, information sharing, that's why I asked the question. I'll continue going back to my shop, and I'll also continue to educate myself and ask questions of the masses. Thanks again. The piston is a J&E for 11:1.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

so my recomendion is two let it heat up cool it down and repeat this 2 more times and u will forsure be good.
then it will be ready to go enjoy the new found power.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Congrats on the new piston. Raptor 700r's are awesome!! How much HP/speed did you get out of it?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Sapper79
Thanks to all with your advise and information, except for Policy Peddler and his humongous ego. If I wanted scolded I'd leave the toilet seat up. I actually feel less intellegent for having read his reply. I don't know about him but I still like to 'measure twice and cut once'. Confirming information, information sharing, that's why I asked the question. I'll continue going back to my shop, and I'll also continue to educate myself and ask questions of the masses. Thanks again. The piston is a J&E for 11:1.
Lol, no comment on him.

Quick Reply: Break in period