Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Belt Housing is very HOT on 2001 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Housing is very HOT on 2001 Grizzly

I went for maybe a 3 mile ride at low speeds and when I was done I noticed that my belt housing was very hot. (Last winter I replaced the belt with the help of good advise from this forum.) This machine is a 2001 Grizzly 600 with only about 700 miles on it. It is used only to drive around a camping area and a few easy going trials.

Is there any main culprit that will cause all this heat to build up?

Thanks for any info.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

Most heat is caused by belt slippage. Are you sure you used the proper belt? OEM belts are made of harder compunds to insure long life, however we have found (on snowmobiles) that is not good. Most guys use a softer compound belt (dayco) on snowmobiles. They grip way better, which also allows them to run much cooler.

Also when replacing belts, you need to clean both clutches and align them.
Other causes may be worn fly weight bushings, worn clutch bushing or worn sliders in the secondary.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Another tip when installing a new belt, they need to cleaned/washed. New belts have a scheen, oily film on them (slick finish) they need to be roughed-up. They need to be scrubed with hot soapy water, using some type of stiff brush. Some guys will put them the dish washer and run a washing cycle then allow them to air dry before installing them.
Also before installing a new belt, the faces of the clutches need to be scrub with brake clean and a scotch-bright pad or some fine emory-cloth in a circular pattern. This gives the belt better grip.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Tramp,

I was just discussing my problem with a coworker when your replies came through. As soon as we read your advise everything made sense. I did remember that the clutch faces were very smooth and shiny. And this new belt has only about 10 miles on it so I am convinced that it also has nice smooth sides. In your opinion would it be best to clean both the belt sides and the clutch faces? (Too bad I have to go through removing the belt housing which is a pain; it's hard to imagine changing a belt on the trail)

Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

10-4 on both issues.
Scrub the belt good with a stiff brush and warm soapy water. While it is drying reach in and spray the clutch faces with brake clean (do not use any type of oil product....brake clean will dry without any film) and scrub hard with a brilo pad or fine emory cloth and rough up the suface (do not gouge it) just put fine scuff marks in it.
However since you have already run it a while, the belt may not be as slick as it was new, the resado is probably on the clutch face now, but you need to get the belt dust off it and the clutch.

Good Luck

Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spray your belt with "belt conditioner" when it drys, it turns sticky and makes the belt grip. and also prolongs belt life.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the suggestion on the belt conditioner; I'll try that next time.
Scuffing the belt and the clutch faces seemed to do the trick.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Make sure your air intake and exhaust tubes to the belt housing are clear. Here is a Video about it,its a Polaris but all atv belt housings are cooled the same way. If I remember the 600 did not have hard plastic air tubes but soft rubber ones,maybe on of the two Air tube is pinched or bent?

YouTube - Polaris ATV Maintenance & Repair Tips : Polaris ATV Belt Drive Maintenance Tips