Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Warrior Rounded Off Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Warrior Rounded Off Drain Plug

Hey guys,

As the title says, my 2001 Warrior has a rounded off drain plug. I bought the bike used, and never changed it till this past weekend. The drain plug looked slightly worn, and every socket I used was slipping, so needless to say I gotta get the drain plug off now. I already bough a new drain plug at my local Yamaha dealership, which has a newer design which seems a little better.

Anyway, I just want to make sure the old drain plug that is stock was suppose to be a 19mm? That's what my new one is. I hope to use this bolt extractor from Irwin tools...

Just want to know if anybody on the forum has experience with this tool, for a warrior. Apparently stripped drain plug is very common. The Irwin tool has really good reviews, but the Warrior drain plug is very shallow, I'm just wondering if this tool would work or not, and what my other options are. I'd hate to have to do a drill extractor and get everything dirty with oil, and potentially mess up other parts.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaCkaL829
Hey guys,

As the title says, my 2001 Warrior has a rounded off drain plug. I bought the bike used, and never changed it till this past weekend. The drain plug looked slightly worn, and every socket I used was slipping, so needless to say I gotta get the drain plug off now. I already bough a new drain plug at my local Yamaha dealership, which has a newer design which seems a little better.

Anyway, I just want to make sure the old drain plug that is stock was suppose to be a 19mm? That's what my new one is. I hope to use this bolt extractor from Irwin tools...

Just want to know if anybody on the forum has experience with this tool, for a warrior. Apparently stripped drain plug is very common. The Irwin tool has really good reviews, but the Warrior drain plug is very shallow, I'm just wondering if this tool would work or not, and what my other options are. I'd hate to have to do a drill extractor and get everything dirty with oil, and potentially mess up other parts.

Thanks!
If you have to drill, glob the bit you use with a bunch of bearing grease and turn it as slow as you can stand...... the grease will collect the shavings, and all you will need is an extractor after that..... the hard part will be catching the oil during the process........ The tool you show is a great tool as long as it's the right size,....

The size of the hex on the drain plug is of little consequence, as long as the threads are correct and as long as you don't round off the corners again.