Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

tryna work out the kinks...help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tryna work out the kinks...help appreciated

Alright guys just bought a 400 4x4 kodiac that the guy said was a 2000...i brought him down to 1500 and bought it. finally checked the vin and its a 94... all its got is 25in dunlop ats and intake snorkle.

Went riding the other day in some deep water, and when i hit the water, not even deep water, it kills. The only way it keeps goin if i mash the throttle. Think the exhaust connection isnt good or something?

2nd q...throttle cable is hella hard to push. guess there is some mud in there. is taking the throttle cable out hard to clean it out?

3rd q...took the bike through some deep water and it killed a few times. right before the ride i changed the oil with some good yamalube. Should i change it again? i really dont wanna fry the pistons but im not sure if the bike took up too much water. any way of knowing?

thank you for anyone with patience. atv noob here trying to get into the game

Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Check the oil. If you took in water the oil will be milky.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

its not milky...oil colored..maybe a little more viscous than oil though.

anwsers to other q's appreciated

Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Losing rpm in water

We have experienced this same situation when riding...The only reason that we can see why it would stumble in water is all of the plastic they put on them...just a guess but I have not heard any other explanation anywhere...seems that the water hits the hot exhaust makes steam...steam is sucked into intake and the motor stumbles...just a guess...my big bear(very simple as far as amount of plastic) never stumbles in water...

Another reason if it is going over exhaust pipe it may create back pressure and want to choke out motor...

Water in oil makes it look like chocolate milk!

Good Luck,
Mudslinger2

Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

hmmm...thats a good explanation. tomorrow i am going to weld where the exhaust connects halfway by the motor (not sure what to call it) cuz i think water may be getting in there. Ill see what happens when we ride on sunday with it welded.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

i went and inspected my bike today and found the carb vent line was hangin down like a foot off the ground. would that cause it to kill?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Default vent tube

Is it a vent tube or is it a tube that would be an overflow tube? I would guess that if it is running down the frame it is probably an overflow tube...Maybe someone else can give you a more solid answer...

Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

its whatever is on the bottom of the carb..the line was just hanging down...and are the throttle cables hard to take out and clean?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Default cable

Don't know on that cable...my thinking is that if it is a cable issue as far as dirty it would struggle both ways...does it return ok when you let off? There has to be a spring in that system somewhere...I would start by looking in that direction...someone may have put a different spring in the system and therefore tensed up the pressure...I guess that you could start tearing into it and if you get to something that you are unsure of just put it back together...you won't be out of anything except your time...the work and tinkering is half (well maybe less than half) the fun of having these machines...keep posting with updates and questions there are a lot of knowledgable people on here!
Mudslinger2

Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks man appreciate all the help.

it was working fine until i rolled my bike and the whole right handlebar dug in the mud... i opened up the box where the cable goes into and cleaned out all the mud, but the button was still real gritty and hard to push. im gonna break into it sometime tomorrow.

Quick Reply: tryna work out the kinks...help appreciated