Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How to remove the hub from a 1998 Timberwolf

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the hub from a 1998 Timberwolf

I've got a 1998 Timberwolf and am trying to remove the front hub, but can't get it to budge. I've removed the retaining nut and the cotter pin, but nothing seems to want to move, even after many liberal doses of PB Blaster. I'm removing this because the front left wheel has locked, it will free up after you get rolling but when it stops and sits for a minute, it locks back down. I'm thinking it needs a new wheel bearing but can't get that far to replace it because the hub won't come off. Thanks guys

Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure the reason it won't come off is brake related.. thats probably why its locked up also.. does the hub have a little rubber plug to adjust the brakes with? if so you need to crank them down a bit..

Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Front Hub

Have never taken the hub off of a timberwolf but have from a 95 wolverine and 08 big bear and they are very similar...If you already have the retainer nut off (probably a castle nut and cotter pin) you are getting there...you need to take the brake caliper off and then take any attachments from the line to the hub off...wrap it around and hang it in front end somewhere...take the tie rod end nut off...probably a castle nut...take off the nuts for the upper and lower a arms...this may get interesting....on my wolverine I had to use a ratchet strap and compress the shock some so that I could get any play to get the lower a arm off of the bottom of the hub...if the bearings are seizing you may need to use a hammer and persuade the hub to come off of the front axle....if it is a bearing issue...get a propane torch, punch, hammer, wd40, and remember...each bearing has to go it own way...inner has to go one way and outer the other way...you can not just push it all out one way...if you need any more help or hints post again! if you cant get bearings out...use a dremel tool and cut the races...careful not to damage the hub
Good Luck!
Mudslinger2