Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 blaster with no spark help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010 | 05:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Angry 2001 blaster with no spark help!!

Ive replaced the cdi, stator, ignition coil, pick-up coil, cut the tors wires and twisted them together, and still dunno?? Help.. If you can please, im new to the atv community and dont know much about them besides google and common sense but this is boggling me badd

Old 10-12-2010 | 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Take a multimeter to it and make sure your getting the right volts through the wiring. Also, check the spark plug wire, make sure that the multimeter runs through. I didn't get anything on a new ignition coil and then I took the head of the coil off of a smaller quad I have and right away it started.

Old 10-12-2010 | 07:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I have 1 new coil and 3 used ones.. None have spark and I'm not getting a single millie volt throught the coil or the orange wire before the coil.. Could it be the voltage regulator? I'm baffled because when I kick it.. The ligfht comes on which makes me think the magneto is fine.. So I went for the cdi.. And no spark.. Then to the stator.. No spark, now brand new pickup.. No spark.. The switches have continuity and the key had been removed before me.. A buddy has the same year one and showed me the 2 wires that have to be unhooked (for the original key) and I unhooked them and still nothing

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Rehook the wires and then strip the ends that connect to the key switch and connect them together, it should hot wire it pretty much if I am correct, taking it off might cause a gap in the electrical.

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

99% of all electrical problems are a ground issue. Usually an open, but occasionally a short.

My guess, since I can't be there, is that the coil is not grounded well.... The mounting points on these dudes get rusty and cause this issue at times. Been there on a 96 model Blaster.

Old 10-13-2010 | 07:57 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

There is one bolt missing on the coil, but the plug side has the bolt in it and the ground wire attatched to it too.. how many grounds does this atv have? also.. whats the Volt Reg for?
and why does the headlight light up if theres no spark?

Old 10-13-2010 | 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DSTRAT01
There is one bolt missing on the coil, but the plug side has the bolt in it and the ground wire attatched to it too.. how many grounds does this atv have? also.. whats the Volt Reg for?
and why does the headlight light up if theres no spark?
There are two coils on the stator. One provides voltage for the lighting, the other is the pulse to the CDI, in turn the CDI shoots a signal to the coil and the coil to the plug..... If my memory serves me right, the coil nearest the rear wheel is the pulse coil..... seems like there's another tiny "timing" signal generator also, that works in conjunction with the spark coil..... ... can't remember exactly..... This is my take on it anyway....

The coil needs to be mounted with BOTH bolts and clean the surfaces and use an electrolytic grease on the mounts and connections. On the coil wire to the 90 degree cap piece, use no grease.

I don't remember how many grounds the bike has,... but the wiring is VERY simple if you strip it all down to wires to see where everything goes. It is very possible the switch is no good (the one on the left grip) and the ignition switch could be temperamental..... the switch on the left grip provides a ground to the ignition, killing the spark,.... It could easily be the best reason for the failure. in '01 the TORS system would just keep you from reving (just like all the rest of the years), and should not be the issue here. Are you sure you've turned the "start Switch " on?.... I've spent hours troubleshooting before and just forgot to turn the switch on..... Hey,... stuff happens....

Keep on hunting,... you'll find it. (do you have a copy of the repair manual/s?)

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Like someone said above me, just check the ground because that's probably why your not getting a spark. If that doesn't work than I don't know what to tell you because you have replaced everything else.

Old 12-05-2010 | 01:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thank you all for the replys.. ive been working on it for the last month and found out that the Ricky Stator was bad right out of the box, so i sent it in and got a new one and now it sparks!! yay!!,, well.. not really, now it sparks but doesnt fire up. the spark is blue in color and ive even put a tiny amount of gas inside the spark plug hole and kicked and kicked and kicked.. nothing, also it backfires and i cannot figure out y.. the day i put the stator on it fired up for 1 minute and shut off, then i kicked for 5 minutes and i heard it go POP out of the tailpipe.. what am i doing wrong? this thing is a demon i swear!!

Old 12-06-2010 | 09:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

NEVER GONNA BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FOULED SPARK PLUG!, REPLACED IT AND RING TING TING VROOOM ITS RUNNING!!! WENT AHEAD AND REMOVED THE FACTORY OILER AND DECIDED TO MIX MY OWN GAS, 8OZ TO 2GAL OF 93