Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Regular or synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular or synthetic oil?

I am about to change the oil on my raptor 250. Should I use synthetic oil or regualr oil?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Regular oil if your on a budget,Synthetic oil if you want the best oil made. Goggle "Synthetic oil vs conventional oil" The ONLY place conventional wins is its cheaper to buy. Here's two links of Hundreds.

Synthetic Oil Vs Regular Oil

Side-by-side comparison of Synthetic vs Conventional Mineral / Petrolium oil

I dont use Synthetic in my truck that takes 6 quarts because it will but me broke ,but a ATV that only takes 2 quarts is not bad for all its advantages.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
I dont use Synthetic in my truck that takes 6 quarts because it will but me broke ,but a ATV that only takes 2 quarts is not bad for all its advantages.

+1

Old 10-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

I use bel-ray semi synthetic thumper for my bikes, and specro semi synthetic off road 4 for my yamaha warrior. I recommend the bel-ray thumper over the specro 4- but what ever oil you buy, make sure its for atvs/4 stroke dirt bikes. Putting regular motor oil in that you would put in a car's engine is bad for the atv/dirt bikes clutches.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Really? its bad for the clutches? I put in Quaker state 10w30 car oil. My owners manual didnt speciffically say only use atv oil... it said use Yamalube or regular oil :/

Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

ya bru its not best for the clutches. i dont think it will hurt clutches baddly, but I prefer putting the best into my rigs. I sure most people ran regular automotive oil back in the 80s and 90s, but now that good stuff is out, why not use it?

"Today’s four-stroke motorcycle engine environment is far more severe than that of the automobile. Motorcycle engines run hotter and faster and tend to have reduced oil capacities to handle engine lubrication and cooling. These factors favour the use of specifically tailored oils, as opposed to standard passenger car motor oils (PCMOs), in modern motorcycle engines."

you should look at 4 stroke oil with these requirements:

Meets API SM and JASO MA2 requirements. Suitable for air-cooled/liquid-cooled 4-stroke engines and wet clutches.

Bel-Ray Thumper Racing Synthetic Ester Blend 4T Engine Oil | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

its more expensive than regular oil, but I ran bel-ray thumper in my klx250 4 stroke dirt bike and didnt change it for like 4 years. I didnt ride it every day, but still it preformed great even after 4 years. I put the specro 4 stroke oil in when i changed it, and it didnt shift as nice or run as smooth. I recommend the bel-ray.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

I use regular maxima racing oils atv oil. Since its regular i just change it more often.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Here is a great video explaining the differences in oils!
Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil

Old 10-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

The advantages of synthetic oil over conventional oil are too numerous to mention. With that said, the conventional dino oils made today are far better than conventional oils of 20 years ago.

Now, with THAT said, I use synthetic oil in ALL my equipment, including our vehicles. Engine oil is the live blood of an engine. For me, it's no place to save a couple of bucks.

If one wants to really get a handle on oil (and filters, and other lubricants), the link to the following forum is the place to go... these folks are "lubricant/filter freaks".

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

They even have a forum for Power Sports.

Quick Reply: Regular or synthetic oil?