Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010 | 07:03 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Big Problem

In the middle of the rear axle on my 1995 yamaha timberwolf 2wd there is some sort of a gear box looking thing. Sorry I don`t know the name..anyways there is supposed to be a special oil in there. There is a drain screw that fits an allen key. I went to take the drain screw off but it stripped out. So I tried to use a screw extractor tool but it broke off and is now stuck in the drain screw. Is there any other way to fill and drain the oil in that gear box? If not what can I do? I'm pretty sure those screw extractor tools are made of REALLY hard metal so I can't just drill it out.

Old 11-16-2010 | 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

flip it over and drain it out the fill plug

Old 11-16-2010 | 05:58 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by desert.rat35
flip it over and drain it out the fill plug
Sorry I explained this wrong. The thing that the extractor is stuck in is on the top. I wasn't aware there was a fill and a drain. If there is could I flip the atv and fill it when it's upside down?

Old 11-16-2010 | 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Send a picture, it's worth a thousand words.

Old 11-16-2010 | 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

The only way I think that your going to get that plug out is get a pair of vice grips around the plug as tight as you can, or a hammer and chisel and tap it round and loose.

Just out of curiosity why are you changing the gear oil, it should be good for a year.

I think that the picture is what your trying to get out right?

Attached Thumbnails Big Problem-fill-hole.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010 | 07:37 AM
|
Trailblazer

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to remove. I bought this atv used 2 months ago and have never checked back there so for all I know I could be running it dry. It sits flush with the case vice grips won't help.

Old 11-17-2010 | 11:27 AM
|
Trailblazer

Is it dangerous to heat that fill screw? The screw extractor is sticking out a bit so if I was to heat it with a propane torch I might be able to get it out using vice grips.

Old 11-17-2010 | 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

mmm, not sure, I think it would be ok to warm it up a little, but if I couldnt get it out with Vice grips, I would use a chisel and tap it around on the edge, you only need to loosen the first thread or so, then you should be able to grip it with the vice grips on the broken extractor.

Old 11-17-2010 | 05:28 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Heat

I wouldnt heat it an extreme amount...I think that some heat would be ok but don't over do it. Probably if it is in there tight enough to break an extractor already, you aren't going to be able to turn it with a vice grips unless you heat it some...I am sure that you have soaked the hell out of it with WD 40 or something of that likeness. You may email a dealer and ask them for some suggestions too...I did this on some wheel bearings that I took apart and parts just starting falling out of the hub...they are usually very quick to email back...Good Luck.
Mudslinger2

Old 11-19-2010 | 07:24 PM
|
Trailblazer

Well I flipped the ATV upside down and tried to do the oil change through the drain screw and the same thing happened. Perfect fitting allen key just makes a perfect circle in the soft rusted metal. I heated this one to for a good while and let it cool...son of a bitch.

To the guy who recommended a chisel- I tried to use vice grips but there is not enough screw extractor hanging out. Even if I take a chisel to the outside edge of the bolt there will still be nothing to grab because it sits flush with the casing.

Quick Reply: Big Problem