Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.
View Poll Results: What havent i tried ?
Put battery in but doesnt need battery to run ?
0%
Clean carb again ?
100.00%
Change spark solenoid ?
0%
Selling the Bitch
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Need help starting 1987 yamaha moto 4 80cc

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i left the carb in a dip for a week when i got back into town i put it all together its all nice and clean with litterally no trash what so ever but when i slapped that bad boy on it did the same thing but this time with a little more ummmph but u still have to wot to keep it idleling i have no clue what it is

Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just double checking, you could see daylight through all of the orifices, correct? could you see daylight inside the throat of the jets? axially? that is the critical piece of this puzzle. you may consider replacing the coil wire to the spark plug also. if it's got a short in it, that may contribute to some of the problem(s). one way to check that is to use a ohm/multimeter or start the machine in the dark and watch for "lightning" on the wire in the dark. but i'm still thinking it's fuel delivery, somewhere in the carb.....hmmm....

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

The carb is super clean and the spark has plenty of spark i shocked myself like twice but idk if its getting gas like you say

Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default pilot circuit

Originally Posted by Wheeler91
The carb is super clean and the spark has plenty of spark i shocked myself like twice but idk if its getting gas like you say
it sure sounds like your pilot circuit has still has an obstruction in it. whether or not it's in the jet or the channel is uncertain.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive blown compressed air through everything everything is clear

Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok So i got the beast started with a new carb kit come to find out it was the main jet but now when i shift into first it boggs down and dies but at idle it revs fine

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Is air filter in good shape? I know these mini quad air filter system and air cleaner intake boot sucks....

Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yup the filter is a brand new K & N

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have you gotten it running yet? Im just curious because I also have a moto 4 80 that i've been tinkering with. It was sitting out in a buddies garage for over 6 years. I went out there squirted some starter fluid into the cylinder and she fired up, so i took the carb off, of course the jets were clogged and the bowl was coated with trash. It runs now but there is still something going on with the carb. It will run fine for a while and then will just shut off. It also bogs down alot. I've tried adjusting the carb but it doesn't seem to take to any adjustments. Should I take it back off and see if the jets are clogged back up? Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Moto225_Moto80_Fan
Have you gotten it running yet? Im just curious because I also have a moto 4 80 that i've been tinkering with. It was sitting out in a buddies garage for over 6 years. I went out there squirted some starter fluid into the cylinder and she fired up, so i took the carb off, of course the jets were clogged and the bowl was coated with trash. It runs now but there is still something going on with the carb. It will run fine for a while and then will just shut off. It also bogs down alot. I've tried adjusting the carb but it doesn't seem to take to any adjustments. Should I take it back off and see if the jets are clogged back up? Thanks
if it bogs when gunnin the throttle, yep, they're clogged. it may take a few times of cleaning if it sat that long and there was that much stuff in it/on it. did the carb look like it had been in a cave for years? then yes, keep cleaning it. soak it in carb cleaner or diesel for a while. that'll help

Quick Reply: Need help starting 1987 yamaha moto 4 80cc