Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

give me your opinions on the wolverine 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011 | 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
One thing I loved about the Reny was the IRS suspension for rock riding and all out power that made it feel like a rocket. What I loved about the Wolvy is its solid planted feeling while riding it (Sport quad like). It made it feel much faster than it actually is. When it comes to trail riding for which these machines were designed, it's basically a toss up between the two, neither machine is going to out run the other with a average rider in tight trail situations and both have there advantages in certain type of trails. If the trails were tight average trails I would take a Wolvy any day but if you will be riding tight rough trails the Reny will be much easier on the back at the end of the day along with putting a bigger smile on your face in the straits. The biggest advantage of the Wolvy they are cheap, will last forever and have tons of aftermarket support. The Reny 800cc's, EFI, and IRS So you decide which works for you but IMHO best bang for the buck is the Wolvy tho neither is a bad quad in for which it was deigned to do!!!
Dead on!

Here in PA rocks are everywhere and the IRS would be nice especially on teh DCNR trails but there are a couple places we go to where the IRS really isn't needed and its just fun tight trails.

I was on a budget also and had to save for a long time. I went by my budget and found what would work for me and what I liked. If you like working on quads and are willing to do upgrades then certainly the Wolvy would work well for you. The Wolvy is the best bang for the buck!

Dan

Old 02-05-2011 | 06:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh I forgot!

The one thing almost every owner of a Wolvy complains about is the rear brakes squeal horribly! Every post I found told me to replace them with EBC rear brake pads and I did and no problem ever since.

Old 02-05-2011 | 08:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Mr. $%^&^%$%usernames, Thank you for your long reply. I assumed nothing. You said a 2 yr old on a 50 and that just rubbs me the wrong way.
I'm happy now to give you all the respect you deserve.
I am very happy to see you take exception to my comment and get worked up. It really does show you care. As you pointed out, there are idiots out there.
I'm sure your a very fine person and take wonderful care of your family.
FYI: I would like to meet up and ride someday. I've met alot of good friends thru here.

Old 02-05-2011 | 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Mr. $%^&^%$%usernames, Thank you for your long reply. I assumed nothing. You said a 2 yr old on a 50 and that just rubbs me the wrong way.
I'm happy now to give you all the respect you deserve.
I am very happy to see you take exception to my comment and get worked up. It really does show you care. As you pointed out, there are idiots out there.
I'm sure your a very fine person and take wonderful care of your family.
FYI: I would like to meet up and ride someday. I've met alot of good friends thru here.
Thanks, it's in the past and it's all good.

Well, maybe we'll get in touch again about meeting at SSRT in the spring time or even Rock Run which I've never been to.

Dan

Old 02-05-2011 | 04:04 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

So if lt 80 and username are done with this turbulent heated battle of what age a child can run a 50cc quad, And usernames status as good parent all over my threat that has nothing to do with 4 year olds or..whatever i just skimmed throgh didn't see the word wolverine anywhere and moved..anyways ....Make a lifetime movie network drama about it and when you're done come back to the wolverine? how good is the drive system ? hill climbing ability? what kind of maintenance should i or anyone expect? that sort of thing thanks

Old 02-05-2011 | 04:45 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Renegades are very pricy sport 4x4 but the fastest of the bunch ,the 500 scrambler is also more powerful than a 420 Wolverine but it has a chain drive while the others have a maintenance free shaft drive rear end.

Both the Renegades and Scrambler are true AWD vs 4x3 limited slip of the Wolverine.

You would of liked the of liked the older 350 Wolverines, 5 speed and they had the Warrior/Raptor 350 motor and is still the lightest 4x4 ATV ever made at 477 lbs, its only draw back was it was full time 4x4.2010 Yamaha Wolverine 450 Auto. 4X4 ATVs

Old 02-05-2011 | 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ohiowoodsrider250r
So if lt 80 and username are done with this turbulent heated battle of what age a child can run a 50cc quad, And usernames status as good parent all over my threat that has nothing to do with 4 year olds or..whatever i just skimmed throgh didn't see the word wolverine anywhere and moved..anyways ....Make a lifetime movie network drama about it and when you're done come back to the wolverine? how good is the drive system ? hill climbing ability? what kind of maintenance should i or anyone expect? that sort of thing thanks
Short hill climbs are no problem but long and steep ones are more of a problem. I posted a lot of info already on the maintenance and drivetrain you must of skimmed over that too as well as the helpful input that others have posted for you. Have you checked out the other site I mentioned?

good luck in whatever you choose to go with.

And if you can fund the movie network drama than lt80 and I will take the staring roles......

Old 02-05-2011 | 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I plan on doing some coal riding this year. See how I like the wolvy then. I'm already looking for motor kits but I think I'll be disappointed in the end. I like being able to slide around with the axle. And I love the small size and lite weight of it also. Just needs 20 more horse . How much does the sheave kit, or clutch kits, or even both help? That's taking me the longest to get used to...I'll start up a hill and wont know if I have wheel spin, clutch slip, or power loss.

Old 02-05-2011 | 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by rd3280
I plan on doing some coal riding this year. See how I like the wolvy then. I'm already looking for motor kits but I think I'll be disappointed in the end. I like being able to slide around with the axle. And I love the small size and lite weight of it also. Just needs 20 more horse . How much does the sheave kit, or clutch kits, or even both help? That's taking me the longest to get used to...I'll start up a hill and wont know if I have wheel spin, clutch slip, or power loss.
rd3280 are you in PA?

I've ridden the coal hills in White Haven, PA and on RAC land and the Wolvy does very well but there was one hill in White Haven known as Big Ben I tried that I probably shouldn't of or at least had it in 4x4. It was easily a 45-50 degree pitch and its a steep long climb probably around 200 feet to the top and I only made it 3/4 of the way up and I hit a large chunk of coal or something and kicked the rear on me and before I knew it I was across the fall line. If this link works Bing Maps from bing the run in I took was from the right side by the tree and where the two trails merge up toward the top is right where I hit something and it kicked the rear around on me. The hill doesn't look very bad on the website but when your there and at the bottom looking up it will make you think twice before going up it. Spin the map around on Bing and you can see how tall it is and how steep it gets. I haven't tried again and unfortunately the coal company here used to allow riding but has since change their stance one it.

I don't know how much the clutch kits and sheave kit help since I don't have them done yet.

Old 02-06-2011 | 09:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Originally Posted by GODDAMNUSERNAMES
rd3280 are you in PA?

I've ridden the coal hills in White Haven, PA and on RAC land and the Wolvy does very well but there was one hill in White Haven known as Big Ben I tried that I probably shouldn't of or at least had it in 4x4. It was easily a 45-50 degree pitch and its a steep long climb probably around 200 feet to the top and I only made it 3/4 of the way up and I hit a large chunk of coal or something and kicked the rear on me and before I knew it I was across the fall line. If this link works Bing Maps from bing the run in I took was from the right side by the tree and where the two trails merge up toward the top is right where I hit something and it kicked the rear around on me. The hill doesn't look very bad on the website but when your there and at the bottom looking up it will make you think twice before going up it. Spin the map around on Bing and you can see how tall it is and how steep it gets. I haven't tried again and unfortunately the coal company here used to allow riding but has since change their stance one it.

I don't know how much the clutch kits and sheave kit help since I don't have them done yet.
Now there ya go deviating from his wolverine thread..You see how pissy he gets..:P :P

My buddy changes the oil in his wolverine frequently and checks the gear box's oil level. That's about it. He hasn't even thought of looking at the belt yet.
He'as had no CV joint problems at all.
I'm sure there are different clutch kits for different types of riding. I'd look into the differences.
Mickey Dunlap works wonders w/4x4's. That's who I'd call.

Quick Reply: give me your opinions on the wolverine 450