Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

86 banshee won't shift or kick over

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 banshee won't shift or kick over

ok, so this past weekend we were at the dunes over at the oregon coast. bike seemed to run fine most of the weekend. Then it started to not going into first. Then when coming back to camp and riding slow on the payment it locked up and stopped. I can hold in clutch and it kicks over, but letting out the clutch it won't go, like it bogs down and just dies. Now this is the strange part, put it in neutral I cannot kick start it, it will not move. The kicker just stops not even half way though locking it. But putting it in gear, holding the clutch it does start by kicking it over.

something is binding it up but what could it be? and of course how easy would it be to fix it?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by scoutt
ok, so this past weekend we were at the dunes over at the oregon coast. bike seemed to run fine most of the weekend. Then it started to not going into first. Then when coming back to camp and riding slow on the payment it locked up and stopped. I can hold in clutch and it kicks over, but letting out the clutch it won't go, like it bogs down and just dies. Now this is the strange part, put it in neutral I cannot kick start it, it will not move. The kicker just stops not even half way though locking it. But putting it in gear, holding the clutch it does start by kicking it over.

something is binding it up but what could it be? and of course how easy would it be to fix it?
Something has piled up in your transmission. I bet if you drain the oil it is full of filings and pieces of steel
I doubt it will be a easy fix. Best case senario would likely be a failed bearing that locked up.
Worst case would be a bunch of trashed gears. Both will likely involve a complete tear down.
See if you can get a repair manual from tradebit.com for it. Then you can look to see how involving tearing it down will be.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you beyondupnorth, I was thinking the same thing as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, tore open the right side of the case and found 3 gears broke. One plastic gear for the water pump and the main big gear and smaller gear to the right of it have broken teeth. Looks like a nut was the culprit. Now to find out where it came from. Must have come from behind the clutch basket.

How difficult is it to split the case? any springs or pins I have to watch for that might fall out?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

My exprience is limited to the little moto 4 as far as Yami's go, but it was easier then I thought. Start with a clean bench with plenty on room so you can lay things out in a orderly fashion as you go.
Keep a digital camera handy and take plenty of pictures. There was some tiny littly snap rings on mine and I would think you will need those pliers.
I made do without the clutch holding tool but you could make one with a welder.

Once I got to splitting the case I left the flywheel side down and rested each end on a 4x4 to suport it. A few taps with a hammer and a little prying with screwdrivers and it slipped apart quite easy. Nothing fell or flew out. Hardest part was cleaning all the filings and bits of gears out.
Did you look for a manual online yet, they are worth there weight in gold (almost) if you are doing it yourself.
Ken

Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Feel free to msg me on youtube and ill walk you through the troubleshooting. ‪jlsparky7's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, might tackle it this weekend. I might have a 2000 banshee engine that is whole for cheap so need to figure out if the bottom gears are close enough to use on an 86. I am thinking not but I will find out. I have been reading about splitting it and it seems fairly easy. Sounds a lot easier than my 88 250r, heard horror stories on that one lol