Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Done to death - Best tires for 2000 Kodiak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this has probably been done to death, but I will be honest, I don't feel like searching for the threads. So, that said, hope I will get help...

I have a 2000 Kodiak 4x4, and am looking into aftermarket tires. Now, I want a tire that will perform well on hard pack, but kick a$$ in mud and on stumpy trails. I am currently trying to decide between the SS Vampires and the Mudbugs. I have also considered the Outlaws (heard they rode horrible on paved rode) and the bi/tri-claws.

Any suggestions on largest size without lift kit and performance issues would be greatly appreciated.

later,

Old 03-14-2001, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Kodiakcat,
I've been looking for tires for my Big Bear, and have pretty much decided on the new Titan 589 M/T. These are a new six ply tire from Titan and has a more agressive tread than the older 589's, which Titan sold to ITP. These are supposed to rock in the mud but still ride well on hardpack. They are also supposed to be lighter than Vampires and others. Highlifter.com has a forum devoted to tires on their wedsite, you can get lots of info there.

Old 03-14-2001, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Kman. If you're not satisfied with the stock tires, but still need an all-around tire, go with the Titan's.
Those Vampires have got to be a nightmare on hardpack.
One other suggestion. Unless you really need it, don't get a tire with too many plys. They give a rougher ride and weigh alot more, which you can really notice in the machine's performance.
I'd go with as light a tire as you feel comfortable you can get away with.

Old 03-14-2001, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer

I have 26" Mudbugs and have no complaints. I mainly trail ride and they are not choppy or rough on hard pack, yet when you need traction in mud or snow they get the job done. Awesome tire in the snow.

Old 03-14-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Whatever tire you go with, 26" is as aggressive as you can get without having to put spacers on or a lift kit. I have Goodyear Mudrunners and like the way they work out. Since you are wanting the tire to preform well on hard pack as well, I strongly suggest that you go with the Mudrunners or the 589's.

note: when I put 26" on I found the front right tire would rub the plastic. This was corrected by removing a metal plate behind the plastic, tucking the plastic behind the plate and tightening the plate back down.

Old 03-14-2001, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with either the Goodyear Mudrunners,Titan 589,s or Mudbugs. I have the Mudrunners and like them alot,they ride good on hardpack and are great in mud. Any of these tires will work good for you.

Old 03-15-2001, 10:02 AM
Range Rover

Howdy...only have one thing to add...stick with your stock tire width but go taller...
BB

Old 03-18-2001, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

I run 28” ITP Blackwater XT’s on my Grizzly. These are 6 ply tires with an aggressive lug, not as aggressive as the Vamps but a more aggressive than the Titans.
The 6ply is very hard and you can feel the difference in the ride, so don’t think its going to be a soft ride. The lugs pattern causes vibration on paved roads, but how often do you drive on paved roads?
I haven’t had a chance to try the new tires in mud since the ground froze soon after. In the snow they dig, so in the mud I am sure they are going to be awesome!
These are a bit cheaper than the Vamps and Outlaws.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

My opinion, I've had the 26 inch mud bugs 10 inch all the way around good tire for hard pack and soft mud, but not great mud. Now have 27 inch mud machines 10 inch front 12 inch rear. I can truly say that I'm more than satisfied with these. Right on hard pack is not bad and pull extremely well in mud. Go with the bi-claw, tri-claws

Old 03-21-2001, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Kodiakcat,
So the real question is: how much do you want to spend? Putting oversize tires will no doubt decrease your power. Then you'll want a pipe and jet kit or other mods costing you more bucks. I went that route with my last quad piling on the mods to push the 27" Blackwaters. This time I put 25X10X12 Titan 589's all around my y2k 4X4 and am much happier. No loss of power, run well on hardpack and really bite in mud. As a bonus they push my 5' snowplow like they're glued to the driveway!

Damguy
y2k 4X4-tan
Warn winch
Titan 589's
Moose 5' plow
Big smile

Quick Reply: Done to death - Best tires for 2000 Kodiak?