Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 kodiak timing chain question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 kodiak timing chain question

Well i just got my 96 kodiak fixed and and tuned up. Since i have had this machine around last summer it has had a slapping ticking sound and i believe it is the timing chain and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to make the noise go down or lessen the sound of it,or should i just get a new chain and have someone put it on. The sounds just gets on my nervs after awhile so anyone have any ideas???

Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most have a slack adjuster that you can check to see if it can be tightened up. Try to get a manual so you can read up and see if your chain has stretched enough it needs replaced. Also how to retension it properly.

Originally Posted by Billy bob
Well i just got my 96 kodiak fixed and and tuned up. Since i have had this machine around last summer it has had a slapping ticking sound and i believe it is the timing chain and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to make the noise go down or lessen the sound of it,or should i just get a new chain and have someone put it on. The sounds just gets on my nervs after awhile so anyone have any ideas???