Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 kodiak slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 kodiak slipping

after a particularly wet run through deep puddles my 2001 kodiak began slipping like a bad car transmission. I was told there is a drain plug in the CVT case, can anyone tell me if there is one and where.Do I have to take the case apart and clean it. I suppose it is possible that the v belt needs replacing but was not having trouble before the run.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is located under the bike, it is a 12 mm bolt, there should be a hole in the skids to let u get a socket on it, You should be able to tell that it is connected to the belt housing. I think about 6 inch from the oil drain.

Hope this helps

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

The clutch can get wet a few times before it needs a cleaning. If you have your normal top-end then it should be ok, if you are lacking top-end then u gatta clean it ( easy but very messy) All the yamaha clutchs are very similar so if you can find a video it will help alot. do a search here or other forums and will find several videos.
I have a copy of the service manual for a 2000 or 2001 kodiak i can e-mail it to you if you like. ( timrrr@hotmail.com)
The first time cleaning the clutch the bolts are like a gorrilla put them on lol. I have to clean mine about every 2-3 years depending on my riding.
Good luck!!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default snorkel s/u?

I'm wondering, Thought I read somewhere that u can snorkel the CVT case! Is there an air intake to cool the v-belt that can be retrofitted to raise it higher to prevent water from going in when going through deep puddles?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes you can snorkle the cvt intake. cvt out, and the carb in. The carb in is a good one as it will elimate the engine sputter when you hit a deep puddle and the steam gets sucked into the carb making the bike cough and sputter. ( for the 700's most use 2--- 1.5 inch snorkles for the carb(?) in) I don't know how important the cvt out is, if the engine is running it will push any water out ( like your exhaust does) If you want your bike to be a submarine then you gotta include all your diff vents, carb vent, pvc etc.
If you look around there are alot of opinions on how to snorkle, I am planning on using the flex hose myself. ( like on a shop vac)
That stupid cvt drain plug is a PITA and is one reason I up graded to a newer machine. ( that ol kodiak was indestructable and very nice on the tight trails.)
On the Kodiak's you should keep and eye on where the vents leave the cvt. I had to customize one of mine with a car rad hose ( don't remember if it was the in or out but they are known to be a trouble spot as they separate from the cvt's)
Good luck!!