Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help mounting Graydon headpipes and stock silencer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there something special to do? I wanted to put the Graydon headpipes and keep the stock silencer for obvious noise reasons, but also because the stocker is not as stupidly fragile as the Graydon can be. So I put everything in place, convinced that it would work...it doesn't! The place where the headpipe should go IN the silencer...they are exactly the same diameter! Has anyone tried to connect 2 hoses the same diameter? It doesn't work.
Is this me or ???? There has to be something to get these headpipes on. If not, then Graydon guys, please read this "you have to be stupid". And I mean it.

Old 03-20-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have FMFM pipes with stock silencers. the owner before me did that. there is some radiator hose with ose clamps in between the 2. it doesnt leak and doesnt melt. so give it a try..it might work for you. hope i helped.

Old 03-20-2001, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

Just my opinion but, I would think Graydon figures that someone would put their silencer on the stock headpipe with the use of the stock gasket (like my Big Gun) or just use the whole system. Yea, I know its probably loud, they'll get used to it. I think Graydon told me they use the disc system for noise and spark arrest. I'm sure a qualified welder can fix you up though, welding a coupling on the stock silencer and using a clamp to join them. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Loofer,
you say that the head pipe and silencer (where they connect) are one against each other? They're not like the headpipe going inside (1/2" maybe) the silencer?
Sounds weird.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

You could just cut the stock silencer a inch or whatever is nessacarry and then just use the hose and 2 hose clamps.. if you use black hose and nice hose clamps it looks nice, not rigged up.

Old 03-20-2001, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

I have FMF PowerBomb header pipes with White Brother E-Series. Where they meet the pipes are the same diameter. What my dealer did was took the S pipe of the sliencer to a muffler shop and had them expanded (I think 1/16")it. It fit perfectly.

Someone else in the forum did the same thing with a variation of the combination, don't remember who though...

Old 03-21-2001, 08:31 AM
Range Rover

Mine did the very same thing. The Big Gun Pipe and the GYTR silencer are the same diameter where they join. Simply took the silencer down to a muffler shop and they enlarged the end (spledged) and it fit perfect. Took less than a minute and they didn't charge me.

Make sure you spledge the silencer end not the decrease the pipe end because of you don't want to disrupt flow.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 41t rear, 12t front, sparks ign. advance, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels,
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)

Old 03-21-2001, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think Graydon uses one silencer that matches their headpipe and another slip-on silencer for stock headpipes. Did you tell them about your intended application or just place an order. I think their full silencer/headpipe combo is $400 with jets for a Raptor (don't know about Banshee). Does anyone have the full system for a Raptor or Banshee? I am interested in hearing about it. I bet CT and Graydon use the same fabricator. Graydon also has red and blue anodized silencers. I work near their shop and can take a look and report back.

scott