Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak belt cooling modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone with a Kodiak knows about belt slippage if you get into water too deep. Well, I recently made some modifications and thought I would post about it here. On the belt intake located under the front rack I installed a 2-3" snorkel using a 16 ounce beverage bottle. No plastic has to be cut with such a short snorkel. I then replaced the drain plug cap with an 18" drain hose. This allows the water that gets in there to drain back out. I removed the rear belt exhaust and on both the rear exhaust and the front snorkel I covered it with some breathable cloth. I then took some silicone spray (purchased at a locale sporting goods store) and sprayed the cloth covering down. This is supposed to repel water while leaving the material still breathable.

I have taken the quad out for two rides since doing this. First ride was for 12 hours through mud and deep water terrain. Not once did I get water on the belt. Second ride was for about 6 hours and I stayed on hard pack out in the sun. The purpose of this second ride was to create heat. After this second ride I took the clutch cover off and inspected the belt. Preliminary inspection looks good. True test will be to continue to run it like this and re-inspect the belt again at the end of the summer.