Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tipped My ATV Over & Oil Dripped Out

Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tipped My ATV Over & Oil Dripped Out

Hi All;

It's been some time since I last visited this Forum. But now I have something of interest to say and hopefully help others who have accidentially tipped over their ATVs.

At 71 still riding (and loving it) my '09 Yamaha Big Bear 250, 2 wheel drive ATV. Three days ago while riding on a wooded hill side paralleling a small downhill ravine, I accidentially tipped my ATV over sideways in the downhill direction. The ATV tipped over 180 degrees landing on its handle bars and seat.

Buy the Grace of God, I escaped serious injury and only suffered a bruised left arm, left rib cage and left knee. I was able to get up and upright the ATV.

When upright I saw some oil run down the exterior of my front right wheel fender and the exterior rear right wheel fender. The insides of these wheel fenders also showed signs of oil leakage.

After uprighting the ATV the oil drip stopped. I wiped off the oil from these areas with some old rags. Ten minutes later, I checked the oild dip stick and it showed oil level was still between the high low marks on the dip stick.

I then started the ATV and it started and ran fine in neutral. There was no more oil dripping anywhere even after 5 minutes of idle time in neutral.

I drove my ATV to a more level area and rechecked for oil leaks and did not find any. I also re-checked the oil level dip stick and it was good.

I have a manual 5 speed shift ATV and it shifted gears with no problems. I drove my ATV about quarter mile back to my truck and it performed well with no signs of oil leaks.

Back at the truck, I checked under the seat and under the chassie for an oil crankcase breather tube where the oil could have leaked out when upside down, but could not find it.

I also checked the Air Filter Box and found a small amount of oil in the overflow tube located on the bottom of the box. There was also some light amount of oil inside the back of the Air Filter Box.

My Air Filter Box has two rubber hoses that extend into the the Box. One (larger) rubber hoses is for the Air Filter Element to fit over. The second rubber hose appears to be a smaller breather hoses. This hose did have some oil residue still inside. I removed the Air Filter Elelment and cleaned out the residue oil in the box, overflow tube and breather tube.

I think the oil that dripped out when my ATV was upside down came from this breather hose in the Air Filter Box. But I am not sure because I can't find where this breather hose leads to.

What I would like to know is where did the oil come from when I tipped the ATV over? Did it come from the breather hose in the Air Filter Box and where is this breather hose connnected to the oil holding crankcase? Also is there any website where I can see a picture or diagram of this breather tube and where it connects to?

I would also like to know why the oil reservoir dip stick did not show a low oil level in the reservoir?

JP

Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Usually the crackcase vent line connects to the Air box thats why there is oil in the air box.
You do not loose alot of oil on a tip over thats why the oil level still looks good.

My guess is it is hose fitting #5 or #13

Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airb

lmfao!!!!

and it's his first post!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

atv's can take a simple roll over- I wouldn't worry about it- I've been on the underside of my atv a few times- usually just roll'em back on all 4's and continue on.

looks like TLC took care of you up there

hehe- at 71.... I'm more amazed nothing leaked out of you!!!

pretty awesome tho- hope I'm still able to ride at 71- but the way I'm feeling at 40, something tells me I won't be riding an atv at 71

most of the moderators here at atvc are in their 70's or way older (like the super mods & admins) and some still ride

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a question .is it possible for oil to drain from the breathing tube of the differential and final drive,once it's upside down???
way to go JP
Heiko

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by heikoboehm
just a question .is it possible for oil to drain from the breathing tube of the differential and final drive,once it's upside down???
way to go JP
Heiko
Depends on the atv- most of the newer atvs have sealed diffs with expandable "tubes" that wont let oil out or water in. The older atvs have open diffs with long breather tubes that usually extend up under the gas tank. Diff fluid is also kinda thick (90 weight) and usually wont drip out the tube - but I guess its possible.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would the case on my 2003 Big Bear 400.the tubes are under the seat . thank you " beergut "

Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Many thanks to TLC, BEER GUT, PYRO AND HEIKIOUM for taking the time to respond and answer my questions and concers. It is most appreciated. I was not using good judgement and practicing safe ATV driving. I have some good bruises on my leg, arm and left side of lower rib cage. Next time I will stay off the hill sides unless there is a cut level trail. At 71 you can't afford to take the risks that you did when you were 50.

JP