Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Badger 80cc coming home tonight

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, btw, does anyone know the model Mikuni Carb this is? There we're zero numbers on the Carb. The only writing said Mikuni.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Took a little time to rebuild my Carb that has been sitting in Berrymans for a few days. Came out very well, not too many spare parts left

Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a brand new one! Good job on the rebuild, what's next?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bigcountry78
It looks like a brand new one! Good job on the rebuild, what's next?
Waiting on the battery to arrive to give it a go on starting it. I'll just make sure the oil is topped off first and use a make shift fuel source (I have an oil container fitted with a fuel line). I would like to get a feel for the engine condition, then make a decision on how far I tear it down. All wheels are off now, need to square away the front brakes.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

got a no start. she just spins and doesn't even sound like an attempt to start. got great spark, even fuel. I even sprayed starting fluid down the spark plug hole, still nothing.

I just bought an adapter to fit my compression tester on there. would low compression give a no start and not even a pop?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, found this while Googleing:

The first thing to look at, when troubleshooting a bike that will not start, is compression. You must use a compression gauge. If the engine does not have at least 100 PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch). If the engine has low compression it will never run right. 100 PSI is right on deaths doorway. If it "seems" like it has enough or you "think" it has enough... that's not good enough. Run a compression check. If the compression is low, and the engine is a four stroke, check the valve clearances. If the valves are tight, they may be leaking compression. If the valves clearances are correct and the compression is still low you will have to rebuild the engine.
I didn't know tight valves will leak compression. This is good to know since I heard the Badgers are notorious for Valves Tightening.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPDano
got a no start. she just spins and doesn't even sound like an attempt to start. got great spark, even fuel. I even sprayed starting fluid down the spark plug hole, still nothing.

I just bought an adapter to fit my compression tester on there. would low compression give a no start and not even a pop?
Double check the timing, I fought with the timing on my old moto4 100cc I swear it was off by one tooth and wouldn't do anything.

Do you have a manual for this bike?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Durby
Double check the timing, I fought with the timing on my old moto4 100cc I swear it was off by one tooth and wouldn't do anything.

Do you have a manual for this bike?
Yes sir, got the manual. I will also check timing per your suggestion.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Ughh, the exhaust valve tappet cover won't budge. I even bought a new 15/16 socket and a closed end wrench and stripped it. Heated it up with a torch, even with vice grips, fail. Gonna have to cut it off now.

Adjusted Intake to .05 per manual. .075 is the exhaust but can't get to it.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Made small cuts to the cap and used a punch and hammer to slowly break it off. I adjusted the valves and exhaust seemed fine. Intake a little loose. Painted all the Rims today and started to clean the frame. Also repainted the clutch and magneto covers the same Ford Silver Wheel Paint. This stuff dries real hard and resistant to chipping.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Badger 80cc coming home tonight