Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Air Filter setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 05:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After really looking into the stock air cleaner setup I can't believe how poor the design is. You can never tell of the air cleaner is seated properly.

I'm looking for an aftermarket setup. Which is best?? Pro-Design?? Clamp on K&N's with outerwears?? Should I keep or dump the stock airbox??

Thanks Mac

Old 03-29-2001, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Keep the stock airbox and get a K&N w/ outerwear. Don't waste your money with a proflow.
The official K&N instructions say that you should cut the skeleton of the stock air filter (the plastic stuff), and keep only the round part (where you'resupposed to attach the filter). If you follow their instructions you will end up with the same setup as stock (which is no good).
Here's what I did. I cut the skeleton thing , (just remaining the big plastic ring). Then, I ripped off the little foam ring (mine was all destroyed). Then I cleaned the plastic ring well well well. Next step was putting the ring where it is supposed to go (w/out the air filter) in the airbox. Hold it firmly down and pressed against the airbox(you can put some silicone between, if you want...but I didn't), and drill 3-4 holes on the superior flat part. Put 3-4 pop rivets in the holes...and that's it! It's fixed on the airbox...you just need to slip the K&N on and tighten the collar to ride! I say I saved over 100$ with this "trick". Oh yeah, you have to cut 2 little plastic legs (that usually hold the back of the filter) off the lid.
If you want pics, just email me.

Old 03-29-2001, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you do decide to get the pro-flow adapter put some silicone in between it and your airbox. That little O-ring isn't adequate if your airbox isn't perfectly flat.

The trick mentioned with the stock mount should work just fine for a lot less money.

Old 03-29-2001, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

But you arent going to get the 4.7 horsepower increase from this mod like you will with the Pro-Flow. Spend the money and do it right...(See dyno run below on a stock banshee with the proflow vs. without...)

http://<a href="http://www.mobiledyn...&UID=10008</a>

RoostKing...

Old 03-29-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm, I wonder how much of that 4.7 Hp is from the pro-flow adapter, from the K&N air filter and from the snorkle being removed.....

Old 03-29-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

RoostKing,
I'm glad you talk about the performance aspect. I have thought about it, and ended with this conclusion. "are 2% more airflow worth 100$ difference?" My answer is obviously no way.
In your opinion (or someone else knowledgeable) how much of the 5 hp are due to the ProFlow adpater and how much to the K&N? I think about 1 to 4 (advantage K&N), but don't mind changing my mind.
BTW, if you have a proflow setup, I'd be glad if you could tell me what is the inside diameter or the part connected to the airbox, so I could compare it to the stock plastic stuff.

Old 03-29-2001, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

The stock filter sucks [mostly sucks the dirt from the trail right into your motor]. Get the Toomey 2:1 filter kit. It takes the place of the entire stock airbox comes with a foam filter and outer wear. I've taken it thru plenty of mud and never even got it dirty and the power over stock is unbelievable. All that for about 45 bucks. You'll have to move the coolant bottle but that's no big deal. I moved mine just behind the bumper. If you want pics let me know.
runnvs1@peoplepc.com

Old 03-30-2001, 07:03 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the Info Holyman but if you drive in mud once in a while isnt the airbox the way to go?? Also where abouts does the filter sit with the toomey setup??? How much clearance do you think your loosing over the stock setup without snorkle when crossing a stream??

Mac

Old 03-30-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

OK. I had not noticed the lid removed. So here's my new opinion on where powr is gained. 4 from taking the lid off, .6 for the K&N and .1 for the ProFlow.

Old 03-30-2001, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think that no matter what you ride in you would want to keep the lid on. A lot of people take off the snorkle on the front part of the lid althought if you drill several 1" holes in the lid it probably makes little difference about the snorkle anyway. Personally, I leave the snorkle on when I'm riding in the sand because you get a lot more sand in the airbox with the snorkle off. I can live without the .1 HP or whatever in exchange for keeping more crap out of my air box.

The pro-flow diameter is the same as the stock set-up. The oval opening in the airbox is flush with the pro-flow adapter. The proflow has a venturi like taper from the filter side to the airbox opening which probably flows a LITTLE better than the stock mount which is more of a straight tape from filter to airbox. Is the pro-flow worth $70? Probably not but if you don't mind spending a few bucks it makes a nice neat installation that if you silicon it will not let dirt it.

Quick Reply: Banshee Air Filter setup