Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Air Filter setup

Old 03-30-2001, 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I feel the billet aluminum pro-flow is going to flow air much better that a piece of plastic, but I may be wrong... IF I recall, the plastic opening actually gets smaller as you move from the front of the stock setup to the rear of the stock setup, thus giving you even more air flow restriction, but again, I may be wrong...Adding an improved filter is not going to give you that much more air into the motor, especially when combined with an outerwear (which is mandatory), but the ability to move the air into the motor is where the pro flow has a distinct advantage over the stock setup. Dont get me wrong though, It sounds like Zorros setup is quite effective and If I were on a tighter budget, that is the route I would have taken. Either way, for $100 dollars its a pretty good bang for the buck purchase, not to mention piece of mind...

RoostKing...

Old 03-30-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

CROSSING A STREAM!!! This is a race machine not a boat. The filter system is comprised of a rubber "Y" that hooks both carbs together and then turns up to attach the filter on top. The following statement is meant to be read in a "G" rated sense... If you sit on the floor and spread your legs apart and your body is sitting up, that's how the filter system looks. Your feet attach to the carbs and the filter goes on your head. {if you're all done laughing now}
If you have the drain hose disconnected and plugged then you could go thru deeper water with the stock setup. But with the Toomey setup the filter actually sits higher than the carb inlets so technically you could probably go thru more water with the Toomey.
I go thru stuff no deeper than the footpegs and don't have any mud on the filter at all.
You be the judge.

Old 04-01-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

I looked at the difference between the airbox opening and the plastic ring size...they're the same...so there isn't much flow to be gained there. Actually, it's not perfect, so I cut it a little (like 1/8 of an inch on the top left "corner").
The advantage of the proflow is that it looks better.
Stream crossing...who said they weren't boats? Look at some pics on my site...and you'll see that I NEED the lid...hehe. Water reaches pretty high (had it 3" over the kickstarter twice)...but it is as fun as winning drag races.

Old 04-01-2001, 05:33 AM
Trailblazer

Are yall saying that if I leave my airbox stock my engine will be ruined? Just got my banshee today so I need to know what to do to fix it right.

Old 04-01-2001, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Just be extremely careful about ensuring that your stock airfilter is installed correctly. If you are at all confused as to how this works, ASK SOMEBODY! If installed incorrectly, you will suck dirt in and not only can you ruin a top end, but your crank and main bearings could be damaged as well. Save your money and when you have enough, get a Pro-Design setup. They are worth the investment.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ryan...basically , yes. If you have a field near your house, take out the stock filter setup and throw it as far into that field as you can.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the stock filter mount is not too good. If you have to use it make sure that you grease the foam on the front of the mount and be careful when you install it that it is seated properly. I ran mine stock for 1.5 years and never got dirt in it.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Nice idea!

Originally Posted by Zorro
Keep the stock airbox and get a K&N w/ outerwear. Don't waste your money with a proflow.
The official K&N instructions say that you should cut the skeleton of the stock air filter (the plastic stuff), and keep only the round part (where you'resupposed to attach the filter). If you follow their instructions you will end up with the same setup as stock (which is no good).
Here's what I did. I cut the skeleton thing , (just remaining the big plastic ring). Then, I ripped off the little foam ring (mine was all destroyed). Then I cleaned the plastic ring well well well. Next step was putting the ring where it is supposed to go (w/out the air filter) in the airbox. Hold it firmly down and pressed against the airbox(you can put some silicone between, if you want...but I didn't), and drill 3-4 holes on the superior flat part. Put 3-4 pop rivets in the holes...and that's it! It's fixed on the airbox...you just need to slip the K&N on and tighten the collar to ride! I say I saved over 100$ with this "trick". Oh yeah, you have to cut 2 little plastic legs (that usually hold the back of the filter) off the lid.
If you want pics, just email me.
I did the exact same thing before reading this pretty smooth dont you think but i only made one hole on the top and screwed it in its pretty firm but what did you do about jetting i run a K&N with led just took of the snorkel and run a 240 main