Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions please

I have a 2006 Yamaha YFZ 450 with no performance mods.. I mainly do very technical trail rides as well as wide open full throttle trails and drags and sand pits, also I jump this thing higher and further then most even consider lol, I ride in Florida (Croom) mainly if anyone is familiar with that. I am a college football player I'm 6',4" 315 pounds and I ride more aggressive then 90% of other people. Iv ridden all my life and love huge jumps and tearin it up but I know nothing when it comes to upgrades and performance and mechanics. Regardless of price, I want this quad to be the best, fastest, highest jumping, holeshot getting, top end take off (just the beastiest quad out there, even with a guy my size) I figure I'm gonna dump about $5,000+ in it... Oh yea my last ride my motor seized up and idk the problem why.. So I figure it's time to have it taken apart and FULLY modded in every best way while I gotta get it fixed anyway, SOOO I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations or experience or anything pertaining to this post to help me build a beast.. I'd appreciate anybodies feedback, thank you for your help

Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
I recommend finding a high quality ATV shop/motor builder.
I will mention some.
These ppl can do everything from motor to suspension.
Baldwin Motorsports.
Hetrick Racing.
GTThunder. (laz is well known for his great stock shock rebuilds)
These guys are pro's and well versed with the YFZ.
Maybe get ahold of Walsh Racecraft, they are in Fla.

IMO, PEP shocks are the absolute best and it sounds like you need the best shock.
Baldwin handles those.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

Sweet thank you.. And yea a guy my size with how aggressive I ride I'd love some good shocks

Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

I would focus on suspension and handling before I started to build a motor with more radical porting, more compression, bigger valves, more aggressive cam profiles, etc...

You would be surprised how faster and longer you can ride (as well as ride faster for a longer period of time) with different A-arm's, shocks & springs dialed in just for you, a different length swingarm, different length axle, tires with a profile, compound and sidebite for the conditions that you're riding in. Handlebars with a bend and height suited to you with good grips also make a big difference as does a quality steering stabilizer. Foot peg height and position can also make a difference with the ergonomics of the quad as well as something as simple as the thickness of the seat.

Be sure and don't overlook the little tricks when building a YFZ like gearing for the course that you're riding on, using a programmable ignition system to adjust your full and part throttle timing curves as well as at what throttle position you change from full throttle to part throttle timing curves.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I don't wanna be a Debbie Downer, but $5,000+ won't go very far to make the best of the best, depending on how much + you have. You could easily spend $5000 on suspension alone with quality parts from Walsh and/or Lonestar. As for the engine, a stroked crank and higher compression, big bore piston will give you the torque you're looking for, but keep in mind that a highly modified engine will be much less reliable than a stock engine, and if you go too high on the compression you will need to run racing fuel or a mixture of 93 octane and racing fuel. A good portjob, cams, and of course a good pipe and air filter are good for power. If noise isn't a concern, I'm a fan of the Curtis Sparks pipes. He also is a good engine builder and supplier of aftermarket engine parts.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought little to no motor work ie: Light porting/mild cam.
Like mentioned, dependability.
GNCC racers run lightly modded motors. Alot run stock. A stock motor is faster than the stock suspension.
I do agree 100%. Suspension is the way to go.
The shops listed (and others) will tell you that the stock swingarm is what to use. The one thing that can be used stock. I'll give Yamaha that.
I didn't mention a-arms/pipe/etc cuz the shop he picks will advise him on all that.
I think if he stays with that kind of plan, it'll be close on the 5k. I agree, he'll get more into it.
$2500 or so in shocks.
$800-$1200 for a-arms.
The motor can easily (knowing it needs work) be a cpl grand.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the insight!! I don't care if it costs 10,000$ but I'll definitely focus on the non motor stuff and just jet it with exhaust and maybe some other things.. I do want to spend the money to completely rebuild it and make it wayyy faster and better but not at the expense of it being completely unreliable and super high maintenance.... Also I'm looking to buy another quad for the lady but also for some buddies to use, as well as myself, so any suggestions on a more comfortable lower maintenance sport quad that can somewhat compete with my newly moded YFZ?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

Also I don't mind running racing fuel.. I get it at a very good price

Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I can't believe I did it but basically got a bran new engine, the whole motor was shot, didn't even want to salvage any parts so I just ordered all and every part needed to build an entirely bran new motor (because yamaha doesn't sell fully built new motors) just the parts to build one so that's what I did, so it was a little costly but in reality I pretty much have a bran new quad, even got the updated oil system, I also had it ported and polished, put full HMF compitition series exhaust, FCI, jetting, and tires, so yea, bran new with mods YFZ!! Gotta wait on suspension till winter, that's my riding season anyway so I don't need it right now especially for $3000+ just for suspension when I just spent $5000+... I will never buy a used quad again

Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is what you need, add a lonestar axle, steering stabilizer and some nerf bars

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=140683361698

Quick Reply: Opinions please