Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Helmet Cam on the Raptor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just mounted an older 8mm camcorder on a old helmet. We're going to Winchester Bay, OR. on Friday through Sunday the 1st. I don't have any way of loading these images from my camera to my computer, maybe if it turns out good, I can mail it to somebody who does and they can put it on for me! Basically, what I did was, I took the old aluminum front skid plate off a 86 trx 250r and zip tied it to my helmet, then I zip tied the camera down to it. It sits perfectly level. I tested it out in my front yard and it works great! I've always wanted to do it, but never did. I hope it turns out good at the dunes! I'll let you know.

Old 03-25-2001, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

By the way, there's going to be 2 250r's a stock Banshee and possibly another Raptor. And possibly a 400ex. There was supposed to be a DS going but he crashed and busted both his right side a-arms. bummer

Old 03-25-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Any of you guys ever tried this? How did it work out?

Old 03-26-2001, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

my friends and i use one all the time. we have hundreds of hours of video. it takes about 5-6 hrs of helmet cam to get about one half hour of good video. and i hope your camera has some sort of anti- shake feature. otherwise it is almost un watchable. along with that you have to be careful to keep your head kind of still. the guy that usually wears ours is like a pigeon (his head is always moving). so you have to be conscious of that. we do have some pretty good footage though. people whiping out, multi quad wrecks, tires blowing, quads grenading, getting gravity damage, we've even got some good footage of some people going big (and landing on each other). oh yea it also helps to use some sort of shrink wrap on the camera to keep out sand and mud. its a big pain but its worth it. (by the way even being careful we usually go through a camera a year. theres a trick to this too though. always buy the open box buy, buy one that takes all the same stuff (batteries tapes and charger) as the the old one that way all you need is a camera we usually get a camera for about 100 dollars per year. we all pitch in 5 or 10 dollars for it. if you need the hardware to go from the camera to a computer my freind works at a computer E store if you want his address just e mail me back i could set it up so he would take care of you probably almost for cost. (we put all ours down on cd too).

Old 03-26-2001, 12:00 PM
Banned

nrm660,

Can you please send me some information on the helmet cam? What type of camera it is? What kind of hardware is needed for the camera to hook it up to a computer? And which brand camera do you recommend?

Thanks,

IronBear

Old 03-26-2001, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'd love to have that info as well. Please email it to me.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I've never used a camcorder on a quad, but I did it once on a jetski. About 10 of us went ripping through an overflowing creek (the creek that connects Lake Ray Roberts to Lake Lewisville - for those of you familiar w/ north TX). The footage was unbelievable! Taking S-turns at close to 60 mph and throwing up walls of water about 20 feet in the air. You should have seen the look on the faces of the fisherman!

If you want, you can mail it me and I'll upload it into my digital camcorder and then transfer it to the Mac. I can even dub in effects and a soundtrack. Email me at bartkim@home.com if you're interested.

Old 03-27-2001, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

iron bear couldnt make your email work

we use a sony 8 mm
bolt it to the top of an old helmet (using the tripod mount) put some kind of rubber washers on each side so it will tighten down nice
we have a few different mount holes in the helmet to film back ward or foreward.
for putting it into the computer we use this thing called a "Dazzle" its some sort of usb port thing with av ins and outs and s vhs ins and outs it was 200$ 2 years ago (so its probably 20 now)
fyi video eats memory it takes 650 meg for every half hour of video
we have used this set up everywhere glamis, wayne natl forest, alleghaney natl forest, mich sand dunes it works pretty well.
we also do one more strange thing with the camera we use rc car batteries to run it use the adapter to run it off the charger cut it splice in the car batterie with some quick connectors. then you can wear the batterie on your belt instead of your head. and those batteries are way cheaper then oem

Old 03-27-2001, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Bart - I guess I will get to see this first hand this weekend! The weather is not looking to good right now. We will be looking for you!

EW

Old 03-27-2001, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Helmet Cam on the Raptor!!!