Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How does the griz perform in deep water?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who is thinking of selling his griz and was wanting some input on it from you guys. I want a 4x4 ATV and believe I can get it very reasonable(rich friend with little brain). What I will be using it for is mostly huntingin swamps with very deep water at times. How does the griz do when mostly submerged? Belt slippage and 4x4 function? Thanks in advance!

PS. It has a warn 2500 just in case!

Old 03-30-2001, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

The Grizz is going to work just like my Kodiak. You will be able to get into water up to just a few inches under the racks without the belt slipping. Much higher than that and you will take on water onto the belt. And 4wd works just fine when completely submerged.

Old 03-31-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have frequently had my Grizzly in water up to the racks. One time I rode it across a river where it was actually floating part of the way. I have never had a water related problem with my Grizzly. No belt slipping, no water in the diffs, no problems with the 4WD, no water in the air intake. I have been very happy with the way my Grizzly performs in deep water!

Rick

Old 04-01-2001, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

The griz with the stock trans vents does good in water overall. i have wet my belt a few times though until i put a trans air recirc/cooler on it. now the water on the belt problem is history. One thing i did find out about riding the griz in deep water is that as log as you keep the gas on it a little to keep the air moving out the vent at the head the better chance you have of not getting any water in the vent.

Old 04-02-2001, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

It depends,I drove my grizz along the edge of a river.My front left tire sank in a small sink hole or a fish nest or somthing,and it leand left got water in the belt chamber and thats it .But thats half the battle better have a winch,I didnt had to push,only about a quatermile or so.I would like to find out more about that recirculating thing. 2000 GRIZZLY still runs like a mother ****er!

Old 04-04-2001, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

The recirculating thing is an air to air heat exchanger tha is mounted between the trans air outlet and inlet. It cools the air coming from the trans and reroutes it back to the inlet through some aluminum tube. It's totally enclosed
and water tight. it has two plates that can be removed to run fresh air for desert or very hot but not wet riding. Here is a link to some Pre-production pictures of the heat exchanger.
[red]Pre-production heat exchanger pics[/red]

Old 04-04-2001, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

The griz works great standard. the only machine better for mud than the griz is the bombardier Traxter.
I would HIGHLY reccomend a new set of big mudding tires if you get it. overall it is an awesone machine.

Old 04-05-2001, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

gahunter,

I just submitted a post about a belt related problem with my 2000 Grizzly. Last summer I tried to cross a stretch of water that turned out to be deeper than the previous time I had been there. To make a long story short, I ended up with a Grizzly with an airbox, belt housing, exhaust and cylinder full of water. It was partly due to how I approached the crossing.

The exhaust for the transmission exits 2 places on the right side of the housing, "Y's" together, goes up the side of the engine under the front fender and turns 180° back toward the engine. The height is about the same as the sprak plug and much lower then the intake for the engine and the transmission. If the RPM level is kept up, the air exiting the vent should keep water out. The problem can be be if you ever have to stop and shift into reverse. Also, I had slippage about 4 times when I drove into water that was medium depth (6-8 inches) while driving about 15-20 mph. Evidently the force of the splashing water was greater than the force of the venting air. End result was just enough water to cause some slippage. Wasn't a problem since I wasn't in deep water.

The intake for the belt is just to the left of the airbox intake, but about 3 inches lower. It is basically at seat height. I have taken on water before but still been able to drive out, drain, dry and take off. I have never been stranded by a wet belt alone. If you read my post from earlier, I am experiencing "dry" belt slippage. I am uncertain of the cause or the remedy. It is probably no worse than wet slippage, except dry slippage makes a terrible noise that you don't hear from wet slippage. Again, I want to stress that my Grizzly has been a great machine and problems I am experiencing now are a result of lack of maintenance on my part.

Later,

Yammer_Hummer