Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha vs chinese brand atv

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
One is made of harden steel the other is made of lead.
This fits in with the Chinese vs Japanese atv mfg as well. The quality of steel in the frames and other components is often a contributing factor in the premature failures they endure. Poor heat treating and questionable alloys used to be the norm. I am not yet convinced that isn't still the case.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter86
This fits in with the Chinese vs Japanese atv mfg as well. The quality of steel in the frames and other components is often a contributing factor in the premature failures they endure. Poor heat treating and questionable alloys used to be the norm. I am not yet convinced that isn't still the case.
Also the electric components as well as the metallurgy . How many failed Stator problems do you read on the China ATV forums.

The Chinness ATVs are built of cheaper parts, but their price reflects that.

Your not going to find a top brand SKF or Timken bearing in a china ATV but there common in brand name ATVs.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Youth Chinese vs LT80

Here's my two cents: I bought a 110 Chinese for my daughter two years ago. After 6 months, the transmision was stripped out and the thing couldn't climb any sort of incline. I took it back to the dealer and he told me I'd have to replace the entire engine since the tranny/engine was all one piece. Fast forward to now; I bought an 01 LT80. After cleaning the carb, it runs like a champ. I use premix and bought the oil delete cap. My kids ride the heck out of it and love it! I will never buy Chinese again.

Truth: You absolutely get what you pay for!

Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Trailblazer

I bought one new, it needed parts all he time. It was made of mismatched parts, you can't find your model # and just buy parts as they are never built with the same parts. Sold it and bought a Suzuki, year make, model, and you can find any part you need.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cheap Chinese atvs are cheap for a reason. Many of the parts are also cheap too. From most of what I've read they require a lot of work just to keep them running. Batteries won't hold a charge, carbs easily get clogged up and they won't run, stators need replaced, etc. You'd probably be better off buying an old beartracker or timberwolf for your friends to ride.