Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Rear Differential Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow Grizzly Owners,

Last week fluid from the rear differential overflowed through the vent tube after a 3-4 mile long straight run. I checked out and the fluid was discolored. It was changed, went out next day, same thing happened, but the fluid that came out was still discolored, so I assumed it was old fluid still in the vent tube pushed out as the air in the differential housing heated up and expanded. Next day it happened again, but this time clear, new fluid came out. I am unsure of the cause, but that same day was the first time the Grizzly rolled. It was a gentle downhill roll, one revolution, absolutely no damage, and the engine didn't even skip a beat. I wonder now if the new fluid got in the vent tube when it rolled over. I thought I had my answer, then yesterday, more fluid came out, after a very short ride. The engine was barely warm, and the rear differetnial housing was still cold to the touch. To be safe I changed the fluid again, and flushed the vent line to know that it was clear. I have not had a chance to drive it again, and probably won't for 1-2 weeks, waiting on parts for other reasons.

Any thoughts, or expriences would be appreciated. Specifically, is it typical for some of the fluid to come out the vent tube as a result of being upside down for any length of time.

Thanks,

Yammer_Hummer

Old 04-04-2001, 04:15 PM
Range Rover

That's a normal thing on the grizzly. if you get any in the tube it will come out a little at a time until it's out of the tube. if you fill it up to the edge of the hole like it says in the manual it will do it everytime for a while until it gets the level down just a little. then it'll stop. the roll might have caused some to get in the tube and then get trapped by air and then when the air heats up it comes out. I think all grizzlies have this. i wouldn't worry about it i'd check the level every now and then just to be safe. if water got in there that would add to the level and make this hapen too.

Old 04-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Same thing happened to me once when I put my Grizzly on its side for the first time. It puked out alittle gear lube the next couple of times I went out riding, hasn't done it again since. I wouldn't worry about it.

Rick