Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I consider a used Kodiak 450 or

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I consider a used Kodiak 450 or

New to ATV's, am retired and want something to use around my property and maybe some limited trail riding, located in mt's in SW WA and area is fairly steep and very wooded.

I have used friends 2003 Rancher 350 with Full time 4WD for some gravel road maintenance work and am thinking I want something that is easier to turn and has 2-4 drive choice. Looking to spend around $3000.

Found a couple of used Kodiak 450 - 2003 and 2005. Both are in good shape, 2003 2nd owner - he states has done services, 2005 is original older adult owner (is his wife's atv) and it has always been dealer serviced (240 hours - 1250 miles). Both are about same prices -asking $3,200, both have original tires.

Also looking at 2005 Polaris Sportsman 400, about the 1200 miles, currently 2nd owner, original tires.

3rd choice is a 2007 Outlander 500XT in excellent shape, dealer serviced, 2200 miles 175 hours, but more money - $4500.

Would the Polaris or Outlander auto 4 wheel drive system or Outlander verses the Yamaha (2/4, 4x4, locking diff) be better choice for me? Seems like might be better to just put in to 4WD (Polaris) and not have to mess the locking differential.

Which would likely be the most reliable?

(I probably not going to be putting a lot of miles on the ATV)

Thought about newer Grizzly 450 or 550 or Sportsman 550 with EPS but hard to justify spending the money for the amount of use I will get out of it!

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Bernie44
New to ATV's, am retired and want something to use around my property and maybe some limited trail riding, located in mt's in SW WA and area is fairly steep and very wooded.

I have used friends 2003 Rancher 350 with Full time 4WD for some gravel road maintenance work and am thinking I want something that is easier to turn and has 2-4 drive choice. Looking to spend around $3000.

Found a couple of used Kodiak 450 - 2003 and 2005. Both are in good shape, 2003 2nd owner - he states has done services, 2005 is original older adult owner (is his wife's atv) and it has always been dealer serviced (240 hours - 1250 miles). Both are about same prices -asking $3,200, both have original tires.

Also looking at 2005 Polaris Sportsman 400, about the 1200 miles, currently 2nd owner, original tires.

3rd choice is a 2007 Outlander 500XT in excellent shape, dealer serviced, 2200 miles 175 hours, but more money - $4500.

Would the Polaris or Outlander auto 4 wheel drive system or Outlander verses the Yamaha (2/4, 4x4, locking diff) be better choice for me? Seems like might be better to just put in to 4WD (Polaris) and not have to mess the locking differential.

Which would likely be the most reliable?

(I probably not going to be putting a lot of miles on the ATV)

Thought about newer Grizzly 450 or 550 or Sportsman 550 with EPS but hard to justify spending the money for the amount of use I will get out of it!

Thanks for any input/suggestions.
I owned a Kodiak back when it was a solid axle machine and still a 400. Nothing but praise, and the changes that Yamaha made over the years can only make it better. Am i right in thinking the 2003 is still solid axle and the 2005 is independent rear suspension? I personally would never own another solid axle machine due to comfort reasons.

While you have to push a button or 2 for the Yamaha 4wd, keep in mind that it also has engine braking to all 4 wheels, which the Polaris will not unless it has the EBS.
One of the biggest complaints i see people make about the Kodiak is its size; it's physically small by today's mid-class standards. BUT, i am 6'1" and i never felt cramped on mine at all. I can also say it is probably the least powerful of what you have mentioned...certainly less so that the Can-am.

As far as reliability, from what you have said, i think any of these will serve you just fine. But...if i had to ride across the Sahara or something like that...and a failure meant my death, i would easily choose the Yamaha as my best bet to make it through.

This is all a long-winded way of saying i personally would choose the Kodiak, preferably with IRS.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input.

You are correct the 2003 Kodiak is straight axle, 2005 is IRS.

Did not know about the engine braking feature on the Kodiak.

I am also 6'1" and when I tested the 2003 Kodiak did not feel cramped; interesting that on the new 2014 450 Grizzly the handle bars were about 2" from my knees - must be different frame steering setup. For me I like the smaller size & footprint of this so is actually a plus.

After using my friend 350 ES, think the Kodiak 450 would be significant upgrade in power.

As of tonight leaning to buy the 2005 Kodiak, don't think I can go wrong and is very clean ATV for it age.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Go for a Yamaha, Polaris and Can-Am have a poor reputation for reliability in the UK and my (limited) experience with Can-Ams bares this out. One slight problem with the Yam could be the IRS, I have only worked on 550 Grizzly IRS and have had to change several rear CV joints, two different bikes, but the same owner, so it could be him, though how he could damage low hours CVs to make them "clack" I don't know. The old 2003 Kodiaks were good, the only "known fault" being the 4WD servo motor, you will find a lot on here about how to fix a broken one.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I am also 6'1" and when I tested the 2003 Kodiak did not feel cramped; interesting that on the new 2014 450 Grizzly the handle bars were about 2" from my knees - must be different frame steering setup.
Should not be since the chassis are the same and has not changed 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Automatic 4x4 ATVs I'm on my third Yamaha and they all been very good to me.
Even my old 1989 350 Big Bear is still riding with us and I sold that 10 years ago to a friend.

This is my first IRS Yamaha but my friend has a 2003 660 Grizzly since new and all he has done to it was one front wheel bearing, set of tires and two batteries in over 11 years, he is still on his original belt ,so I,m sold on them.

All CVT Yamaha have engine breaking that works very well.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Bernie44
Thanks for the input.

You are correct the 2003 Kodiak is straight axle, 2005 is IRS.

Did not know about the engine braking feature on the Kodiak.

I am also 6'1" and when I tested the 2003 Kodiak did not feel cramped; interesting that on the new 2014 450 Grizzly the handle bars were about 2" from my knees - must be different frame steering setup. For me I like the smaller size & footprint of this so is actually a plus.

After using my friend 350 ES, think the Kodiak 450 would be significant upgrade in power.

As of tonight leaning to buy the 2005 Kodiak, don't think I can go wrong and is very clean ATV for it age.
I don't know about the ergo's. Could be the dealer just adjusted the bars back since the Kodiak 450/Grizz is popular for "wives"...since a lot of ego's won't let it be ridden by "men". I felt it had plenty of power...and that was the 400 version.

When they 1st went IRS it was done via a bolt-on rear sub-frame type change, then later the was replaced with a permanent type set up with some other minor changes...but nothing major.

As TLC mentioned, Yamaha has a constant tension type CVT ( unlike the others you are looking at ) that is superior. One of the side effects of this is natural engine braking just like a 5-speed.

Basically, the Kodiak checks all the boxes ( except EFI ), so if you fit it, i think you can't go wrong.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 450 Kodiak is the same ATV as the 450 Grizzly Yamaha just dropped the name like the did with the Bruin a few years back.

At one time a 450 was considered a big bore. My dad bought a 500 Sportsman in 1997 and everyone was freaked out that they made such a large ATV. LOL

The reason I bought a 350 was I find the mid size chassis so much more nibble and maneuverable on our narrow twisty trails that do not allow much faster then 30 mph anyways.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Range Rover

I a tad older and have a 05 450 Kodiak with my wife a 04 350 Bruin. Mine with the IRS suspension rides a lot smother. I like the differential lock which locks the front so both wheels turn and not just the one up in the air like my wifes. It also has park and low gear so theirs plenty of power. Fits me well and I ride it all the time. I love mine.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

Had my '02 Kodiak 450 since new, literally shoved it out of the showroom and on my trailer. Been insanely reliable, even with me leaning on it kind of hard every now and then.
It's also plowed it's way out of (and gotten stuck in) several nasty blizzards.
I do wish I had IRS, but nevertheless it's still a comfterable ride.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Purchased the 2005 Kodiak!

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

As this ATV is not near me, I went to dealer yesterday to make sure the smaller size (new Grizzly 450 verse 550) would work for me. It does and really like the idea of smaller footprint.

So I purchased the 2005 Kodiak with IRS from original owner!!

Pick it up next Wednesday!!

Quick Reply: Should I consider a used Kodiak 450 or