Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trouble with Banshee gearbox...somebody help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.
I went riding today, and guess what? Something went wrong (really starting to pi$$ me off)!
Here's what itlooks like.
All of the sudden, the shifter stopped working, I could only play with 4th-5th, and it was unusally hard (almost blocked).
I got back to the truck, and now I've taken it apart (the right side case). There was oil...etc.
The spring isn't broken, neither is the "bolt" that limits the travel of the shifter. When I pull up the shifter, I can see the "roller" and the "star" (now I understand what you guys are talking about when you say to grind a little to have smoother shifting). When I pull up, the roller reaches the top of the star, passes it a little, but doesn't go back "in the hole". From there, if I downshift, it will go back from where it was. Then if I downshift again, it won't move.
Has anyone had this happen already? Does anyone have an idea about what the problem is?...etc

PS Can I take the clutch out all in once (the basket and its discs?).

Thanks...I need help, bad!

Old 04-08-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Give him some ideas guys... me and my Scrambler are still waiting on him!! LOL

Old 04-08-2001, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like worn/bent shift forks. Time to split the cases and rebuild the tranny!!

Old 04-08-2001, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

You cant remove the clutch in 1 piece,the pressure plate has to be tanen off to get to the nut.

Old 04-08-2001, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just put mine back together. It would appear that my wife being the one to last ride it likes to stand on the shifter while riding. Well the problem was that the entire shift shaft needed to be replaced. The shift shaft rotates the shift drum. The claws had spun completely around and were not gripping the drum. I split the cases and replaced the forks to eliminate any doubt.

Replace your shift shaft if you suspect it is the problem. check the shifting and if it still is not smooth split the cases. Later.

99 banshee 35mmAS,superlites,16cc domes,new forks and shift shaft.

Old 04-08-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

update!
I took the clutch off, so I could see properly what was happening behind there...and I found a tiny spring not in its place. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll try. Try to visualize...the shifter shaft (goes all the way through the engine), then the "triangle" with the spring and bolt, and at the end of this piece, there's a sort of rocker held in the center by a tiny spring (actually, not tiny, but seems weak). I don't know how, the spring had found a way through, and the rocker wsn't rocking anymore. I put the spring back into place, but there is a little slack, when I rotate the rocker, it takes a little before the spring acts...is it normal? Was this my trouble? The Yammi manual is very evasive on this subject.

One added question, where the shifter shaft connects to the triangle, is the weld visible? Caus there's a weld right there...and I'm asking myself if the previous owner didn't break this already.

Looks like I'm myself rough with the shifter...I'm gonna be more careful (especially downshifting), and put a shorter shifter, that should help a bit.