Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shell TG-0983 Grease

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell TG-0983 Grease

Hello everyone,

My service manual on my 1987 YFM100T (Moto-4 Champ) calls for Shell TG-0983 grease or equivalent in my final (rear) gear case. Wasn't able to come up with much of anything online or the forum search. May have looked in the wrong place with the wrong inputs. Anyone know about this grease or what might be available today that's equivalent?

I use Valvoline lithium based synthetic grease in my Toyota which I was thinking might work, since elsewhere in my manual it calls for lithium based grease. It doesn't specify what kind, this is the only place I really see a specific type. Just not too sure.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I would contact either Shell or a Yam dealer. Greases come in a very wide range of viscocity, from a liquid, like cold treacle, to some very solid stuff.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Well, Shell wasn't able to help. They didn't have anything on record for that type of grease and as such didn't have a suggested equivalent.

Contacted my nearest Yamaha dealer and they said for something like that to just use any kind of waterproof grease. I think he said they use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I told him of my thought to use the Valvoline lithium based grease I use on my Sequoia and he seemed to think that would work fine.

Unless anyone thinks otherwise, I'll probably go with the Valvoline stuff.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hoowahfun
Well, Shell wasn't able to help. They didn't have anything on record for that type of grease and as such didn't have a suggested equivalent.

Contacted my nearest Yamaha dealer and they said for something like that to just use any kind of waterproof grease. I think he said they use Bel-Ray waterproof grease. I told him of my thought to use the Valvoline lithium based grease I use on my Sequoia and he seemed to think that would work fine.

Unless anyone thinks otherwise, I'll probably go with the Valvoline stuff.
Never heard of the stuff but, does the ATV have a fill and a drain hole? Is this the rear differential? No way I could really tell you for sure but you might think about some sort of pourable lube/oil/ATF. What came out of it...grease, liquid....maybe nothing?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
Never heard of the stuff but, does the ATV have a fill and a drain hole? Is this the rear differential? No way I could really tell you for sure but you might think about some sort of pourable lube/oil/ATF. What came out of it...grease, liquid....maybe nothing?
Yes it's for the rear gear case. No drain plug, but there is what looks like a grease fitting in the top side of it. Manual calls for a breather tube attached to it so it. When I pulled it apart it had a bunch of old thick grease in it.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hoowahfun
Yes it's for the rear gear case. No drain plug, but there is what looks like a grease fitting in the top side of it. Manual calls for a breather tube attached to it so it. When I pulled it apart it had a bunch of old thick grease in it.
Hmmmm. Well, fill it full of the grease that you mentioned. Since it doesn't have a drain I'm guessing thats the best route. I have worked on ATVs for many years, learn something new every day...

Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

I have a YFM80 for my son and I used honda atv gear oil