Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

In Need of Battery Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something to consider. I have a 08 Honda TRX700XX, a 07 KFX700, and a 07 TRX250EX and all with the oem Yuasa battery. They finally failed about 10 months ago and within 3 months of each other (dammit!). But 7 and 8 years out of a battery? I think that is pretty good. I will add that I did not go back with oem. I chose to install Deltran lithium batteries instead. They claim 5 times longer life then regular lead/acid type batteries. I seriously have my doubts about this claim. I decided to take a risk and buy one for my TRX. When it arrived, I was blown away at how much smaller and lighter it was. The oem battery weighed about 11 pounds, the Deltran weighed about 1 pound! Now I did not use a fancy scale, so these numbers are most likely not 100% accurate. They do cost more, in my case, about $30 more than oem. They also do not fit like oem, but it IS easy to get a custom fit with the included adhesive foam blocks. The downside is that they do recommend a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries, so that is an additional expense to consider. Since I was so impressed with my first purchase, I bought 2 more for the other quads mentioned. I cannot say if they are durable since I have only had the oldest one for about 10 months, but they do start the machines very easily.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I can imagine they wouldn't last 30 years lol. But even if they lasted say 10 years, for most it would be the only time you would ever have to replace a battery. I guess smaller and lighter is a good thing but if it doesn't fit the factory location, I'm a bit skeptical. In a Grizzly for instance, the oem battery fits snugly under the seat so adding blocks would be fine. In other quads where the battery is located elsewhere, I can see it bouncing around a lot. Its hard to add blocks if the location isn't a box like under the seat. I'm sure they have a solution for that though. I guess we'll have to wait a long time to see how long they last though.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Never really thought about that since all of mine are under the seat as well AND have a battery hold down bracket. I did get mine to fit just like the OEM battery, but it may be more challenging for other models. I am still blown away at the size and weight difference and the models I purchased have twice the CCA of the stock batteries.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nachop
Never really thought about that since all of mine are under the seat as well AND have a battery hold down bracket. I did get mine to fit just like the OEM battery, but it may be more challenging for other models. I am still blown away at the size and weight difference and the models I purchased have twice the CCA of the stock batteries.
I do like that last part, "twice the CCA of the stock batteries". More CCA is always a good thing in my opinion. On utility models, more CCA is nice when you add a winch or extra lighting. That's basically like adding an extra battery.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Load Tester arrived in the mail yesterday so I completely charged the battery...It is indeed bad.

Time for a new battery, anyone have a bead on which to go with ? I would like the highest CCAs possible since I run this thing in the N. Illinois winters so I can plow snow.

Thanks !

Scott

Old 02-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Read post #11.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ended up ordering another Odyssey PC545 battery. Seems that the previous owner got the PC545MJ ...the MJ is Metal Jacket. It's a metal sheath that fits the battery perfectly....and the previous owner attached the metal jacket so that it isn't going to come out easily without breaking some plastics.

Battery shows up Tuesday, so I'll keep y'all posted....Thanks for all the input !