Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Engine Cranking Slowly... Bad Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo2500
I took off the starter and tested it on the bench and it worked while bench tested. The starter was then installed back into the ATV. I then used jumper cables from my truck battery directly to the starter and it did nothing except throw sparks.

I have noticed that the engine is harder to rotate over with a wrench as compared to before replacing the valves. If the starter didn't have enough torque to turn the engine would it possibly cause the symptoms I am having? Any idea what I should look for as to why the engine is harder to turn over. I have removed the spark plug and there is no difference. Any idea on the next step?
Possibly starter is still bad.....draggy, and you may have a faultey starter clutch as well. Your not trying to start it in gear are you? Wouldn't think it would let you unless some "electrical" has been bypassed/jumped.....

Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

It was definitely in nuetral because I had to roll it back to my truck to jump it. On a side note, how tight is the chain supposed to be once installed with the tensioner on? I don't remeber my chain being this tight previously, there is zero play in it and when I press against it it's hard as a rock. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something else. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

It was definitely in nuetral because I had to roll it back to my truck to jump it. On a side note, how tight is the chain supposed to be once installed with the tensioner on? I don't remeber my chain being this tight previously, there is zero play in it and when I press against it it's hard as a rock. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something else. Thank you.
The tensioner should keep it "taunt" but not as tight as your describing, you might have a look at how you routed the chain, may very well be "bound up ". You might also verify the tensioner isn't "locked up" at the fully extended position. These things may contribute to your current starting issue.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Fasteratv. I think we are back in business. I took off the chain tensioner and rotated the flywheel a few cycles and noticed that it was still difficult to turn. I then did what I was probably not supposed to do and turned the flywheel about 30 degrees clockwise. When I did this I heard a metallic clanking sound. I then rotated it back counter clockwise and the engine rotated much smoother like I had previously remembered it. I then reinstalled the chain tensioner and once installed the chain was not overly tight like it was before but was now taut. I hooked my battery back up, crossed my fingers and hit the start button and the starter turned over at full speed! I'm guessing that maybe the chain was somehow bound up on the lower sprocket which was causing all of the resistance,not sure...

Next I did my first compression test since my valve install to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Fortunately I got 125 vs the 105 I got before the new valves.

I really appreciate all of the help!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Fasteratv. I think we are back in business. I took off the chain tensioner and rotated the flywheel a few cycles and noticed that it was still difficult to turn. I then did what I was probably not supposed to do and turned the flywheel about 30 degrees clockwise. When I did this I heard a metallic clanking sound. I then rotated it back counter clockwise and the engine rotated much smoother like I had previously remembered it. I then reinstalled the chain tensioner and once installed the chain was not overly tight like it was before but was now taut. I hooked my battery back up, crossed my fingers and hit the start button and the starter turned over at full speed! I'm guessing that maybe the chain was somehow bound up on the lower sprocket which was causing all of the resistance,not sure...

Next I did my first compression test since my valve install to make sure I didn't screw anything up. Fortunately I got 125 vs the 105 I got before the new valves.

I really appreciate all of the help!
Hey, it's great that your back in business! It's about time to do a little riding now huh...