Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak 400 installed known-good carb, but still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
But the engine was...and it hydro locked with the known good carb? From excessive fuel? Just trying to follow you here.
No, it hydro locked with the bad carb. Changed the oil, switched carbs. Still won't start. Switched plugs, too. Still won't start.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
Check this video...it'll get you started...

Thanks, Dirt. That is a very good video, but he didn't show how to tell that you are at TDC on the compression stroke. I did that a while back, but wasn't sure my TDC was on the compression stroke. I've since learned that I should take the plug out and put my thumb over the hole while having my buddy turn the engine by hand. When you feel air pressing on your thumb, tell your buddy to look for the T in that little hole to line up with the mark.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the video mentioned the TDC mark was under the side case? No matter, as long as you get there all is good!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I was able to test the compression...within spec. I also tried adjusting the valve lash and had some issues with the exhaust valve I discussed in this thread: https://atvconnection.com/forums/yam...iak-400-a.html

Old 06-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

UPDATE!! Took the quad to a cycle shop and told the guy that something was wrong with the timing, and that TDC did not yield loose arm in the exhaust valve...but he insisted on cleaning the carb and adjusting the valve lash. He put it all back together, and BANG big back fire! He then explored the timing, and found that the starter had sheared the flywheel key pin when the engine was liquid locked. $466 later, and it’s running again.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

That sucks...in reply #4 I mentioned timing, however it is very rare that timing is the issue and is often overlooked...but that did describe your difficulty in finding TDC with the timing mark and why it wouldn't start...sorry we couldn't get this resolved via message board...I hate bringing my stuff in and haven't done so for a LONG time...

Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
That sucks...in reply #4 I mentioned timing, however it is very rare that timing is the issue and is often overlooked...but that did describe your difficulty in finding TDC with the timing mark and why it wouldn't start...sorry we couldn't get this resolved via message board...I hate bringing my stuff in and haven't done so for a LONG time...
Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to do this work myself, because it required a special puller, etc. I just wish he would have listened to me and trusted that I had done a pretty good job of testing it.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

but that would mean less billable time...:P

Old 07-06-2016, 02:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

As a quad mechanic I learnt long ago not to take much notice of what the owner tells you. Take this scenario, owner comes in with non running bike. "It ran out of fuel in the field, I put it on reserve, but it still wouldn't start" he says. So you check fuel is getting to the carb, clean the carb out, find nothing and it still won't start. You then ignore what the owner said and check for a spark, find none, which is the first thing you check normally, so the carb removal and cleaning was a waste of your time and their money.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by merryman
As a quad mechanic I learnt long ago not to take much notice of what the owner tells you. Take this scenario, owner comes in with non running bike. "It ran out of fuel in the field, I put it on reserve, but it still wouldn't start" he says. So you check fuel is getting to the carb, clean the carb out, find nothing and it still won't start. You then ignore what the owner said and check for a spark, find none, which is the first thing you check normally, so the carb removal and cleaning was a waste of your time and their money.

Interesting perspective...

Quick Reply: 2000 Kodiak 400 installed known-good carb, but still won't start