Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Kodiak 450 oil leak (solid rear axle)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:25 AM
KMR
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Kodiak 450 oil leak (solid rear axle)

I few weeks ago I rolled my Kodiak. After that it started a slow oil drip from what appears to be the drive shaft housing connecting to the rear differential. Its a solid rear axle. I have serched and looked The internet and I could not find any information on my type of machine with my issue. Only the IRS model. I assume I need to seperate the rear axle from the machine to address this issue? And it is most likely a seal? I did read about a loose nut somewhere that may be able to be tightened?

Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

Can anyone help me? Or point me in the right direction?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The rear prop shaft is inside the swinging arm, so oil can't get out if it does leak past the rear engine seal, or pinion seal in the diff. Check the rubber boot between the back of the engine and the swinging arm for splits. If there is a lot of oil in there, it may be worth fitting a new seal. If it is gear oil, it is coming from the diff, if it is engine oil it is from the rear engine seal. However, if there isn't much, it may have taken 15 years to accumulate, and you only know it is there because the boot has split or become dislodged.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:29 PM
KMR
Trailblazer

I am almost certain it is engine oil. It appears to be leak out closer to the connection at the engine. Not the diff. I believe I read that it can occur when the machine is rolled. I was hoping for an detailed explanation (video / diagram) how to fix it. I am fairly mechanical. This machine is new to me just this summer lack some technical knowledge. Thanks!