Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need some quick help

Old 01-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some quick help

Ok I have a 92 big bear 350 4x4...I blew the top end. Got a 95 wolverine 350cc motor for dirt cheap that had new top end. Now the transmission case had different numbers and was a different set up (big bear having hi/lo option). I wanted to keep my bottom end for the low range and the fact I just put new crank bearings etc in the big bear. The top end for both motors had exact same numbers stamped into it.

I transferred the head, piston etc. From the wolverine to my big bear. Well I got it started and runs great, no noises or ticks. The problem I'm having is she's shooting flames out the exhaust. BUT I have only the header portion on and not the muffler half because I wanted to hear it run before I buttoned everything up.

Carb is tuned to exactly how it was before I blew it which I had no problems with. Flames is a sign of running lean I've read so my question is did the wolverine have different jetting than the big bear?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Did you fit the Wolverine head. I think it has a wilder cam? Do you have the airbox etc, on as the engine runs a bit weaker without it?

I once had a Kawasaki 300 with a worn exhaust cam, that used to get the header red hot.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it to calm down....no air box was not on...just wanted to hear it run before I put everything back together.

I forgot I had put two teaspoons of oil down plug hole before I started it to ensure cylinder was fully lubed up....after running about 5 minutes the flames stopped. So I assume it was just the oil burning off?

just took it for first test ride...buried it in the snow and I said screw it and I pegged that thing full throttle. She loved it. Plowed through the snow and it has so much more power than before.

​​​​​​​Carb still needs tuning but overall seems like my rebuild was a success....but I also took the clutch packs from the wolverine motor and put them into big bear because the packs looked brand new. I used same clutch boss etc. Just changed the clutch packs. That wouldn't make a difference would it? Same shape and size and with the way it runs I can't imagine it's bad