Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

frame restore

Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame restore

whats a good tough paint that i can use to repaint my frame?
lots of rust so im gonna strip the bike and sand blast

Old 01-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sand blast "all" the rust off or you will have problems. Then a primer coat and then use an epoxy base paint or if you can swing it get it powder coated. Epoxy paint is what is used on appliances and it is hard to chip off if properly prepped and fully cured.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Try some rust killing primer, then just rattle can with Krylon or any rattle can paint. Then once the top coat has cured, spray with (Truck Bed Liner). I've used Rust-oleum Truck Bed Coating. Should be easy to find at NAPA auto parts, Walmart, etc. It's not as good as Line-X , but for do it yourself, it's pretty good. You can probably spray it over the rust converter. Can't say if it's as tough as epoxy paint, but it's easy to touch up. I was actually thinking of taking the racks and bumpers of my Arctic Cats and taking to the Line-X guys. Stuff has held up great in my Ram's bed for12 years.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Sand blast "all" the rust off or you will have problems. Then a primer coat and then use an epoxy base paint or if you can swing it get it powder coated. Epoxy paint is what is used on appliances and it is hard to chip off if properly prepped and fully cured.
I have a small pin(width) needle hole about a half inch long, can this be welded or am I screwed?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Frames can be welded, no problem, but you often find that the rusty area is a lot bigger than thought as the metal round the hole is thinner than a razor blade. You seem to have lots of problems, paintwork, oil cooler, changing engine, rusty frame, could be time to scrap it and get a better Quad.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
Frames can be welded, no problem, but you often find that the rusty area is a lot bigger than thought as the metal round the hole is thinner than a razor blade. You seem to have lots of problems, paintwork, oil cooler, changing engine, rusty frame, could be time to scrap it and get a better Quad.
I just bought it for cheap lol. The engine is strong, I bought it to for a project to keep me busy anyway.
Just my luck I put up a ad for a new frame and someone emailed me within 5 mins with a solid frame 60$