Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1994 Timberwolf 250 (2x4) spark issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Timberwolf 250 (2x4) spark issue

Picked up a 1994 Timberwolf for cheap. Complete engine rebuild due to con rod bearing bearing shot.

Ok.. currently getting it to fire and idle high. My issue is spark will randomly cut out at idle. I have an inline spark tester and at idle it shows the spark just completely cut out and the wheeler dies.

Ive cleaned,greased all of the connections and tested charging and starting circuits and they all fall with in spec per service manual.

Doing some other tests i noticed while at idle if i hit the start button spark completely kills and motor dies. Also if i turn the idle down and hold the start button it continues to hold low idle with spark and run until i release start button.

At any speed if i hit the start button while running it kills spark for the instant i hit it. (I know its hard on the starter etc..)

I pulled apart the start/on/off/headlight switch and cleaned it and tested, it tests good.

At a loss.. Any help is appreciated guys.

thanks in advance.

Also dont know if this is part of it. Lights only work when running. With engine off no lights. Dont know if thats normal for this year.

I know my Beartracker and Wolverine the lights work with engine not running.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well im ordering the start stop switch for 25.00 used.

Hoping that works because the cdi for a 1992-1993 is $150 used.

1994 and up have different connections. Debating about getting a 1994 cdi and using the connectors from the 93.. last ditch effort of course.

In my title and 1st post i have it as a 94, i did some digging and its a 93..

Old 05-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so the start/stop switch did nothing. I did notice with either of the switches the run/off portion of the switch does nothing. Spark and runs while in off position.

I pulled the wiring harness and going through it. Im so close.. ugggg..

I know one has responded so i guess im posting this to update y'all.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know if it helps but disconnect the kill wire leading to the cdi. That would at least eliminate the ignition switch and left control switch. If it runs ok then it could be in the ignition switch or could be a problem in the cdi kill circuit itself.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer

Yea, I tried that with the cdi kill wire. No difference, Im going to trace/test the harness than bite the bullet and buy the stupid cdi.. not happy about it but the kids need another wheeler.. yup.. the kids

TY for chiming in OPT.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

If it sparks at all, it is extremely unlikely to be a CDI problem. Seems like someone has messed up the wiring. The "only sparks when the starter isn't working" is quite common on CDI ignition, and nobody seems to have a satisfactory reason. I do know Hondas had a strange set up whereby the neutral indicator light has to be on for the bike to spark when the starter is pressed, but as they spark OK when running and not in neutral, I don't know how or why. Some recon the trigger coil being dirty or weak is the cause, of the won't spark when starting problem. I doubt it but it may be worth cleaning it.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Trailblazer

I made sure all the "internal" electronic's were clean during reassembly. But ill pop the cover off and check it out.

I did pull the wiring harness and it is super basic. I ohmed out all the wiring and no breaks or ground faults. Such a simple little harness, there's nothing to it after going through my 99 450 es's harness.. that was a mess.

It's such a clean little machine. The 200 a cdi would be was intended for tires.I dont mind spending the money on both but i'll try simpler things first.

Thanx for some input MM!

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Timberwolf 250 (2x4) spark issue-twolf.jpg  
Old 05-23-2020, 05:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I also have no spark

Could someone in the thread post a picture of which connector on the cdi goes to the stator. I took my old cdi off before i got my new and forgot the right way to put it back on