sputtering - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

Default sputtering

Hello, I have a 1996 Yamaha Big Bear 350 and it was running fine just a little while ago. All of a sudden, after about ten or fifteen minutes of driving it will want to lose power or sputter. Right now, It'll turn over by new battery for 1 minute if I have to, but it won't kick in. It used to start after a few seconds. The only way now I have to get it started is to press start button and hold throttle wide open for it to attempt to start, and then after a few attempts it will finally go on its own, while slowly letting the throttle out or back. When and if I do get it started and going, it will be fine for about ten minutes, then start to lose power. Any answers.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Could be anything, but symptoms seem like those of a way too rich fuel/air mix. Remove the plug, if the nose is black and sooty, you probably have a rich mixture. Fit a new plug and check the air filter is clean and that the choke isn't stuck. If the plug isn't sooty, it could be low compression, probably caused by the valve clearances being wrong. Re-gap them anyway, then, if it is still bad to start, do a compression test, over 90psi is OK.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

Default sputtering

It seems to run fine again. I don't know how I got in there but I turned that one gold screw in a bit, the one thats underneath the carburetor. Big black hose was in the way too. It ran ok, but the one thing I am concerned about is Why does the bike seem to want to sputter or lose some kind of power whenever I make a turn. To me, it seems like theres something wrong with float level maybe. Everything else sparkplug etc are ok.